Awake || newt

“Neeewtie!”

I stumbled, tripped and almost fell over the tree trunk my best friend Newt sat at, and tried to prevent a fall by quickly grabbing the collar of his shirt.

This caught him by surprise and he lost his balance, falling back down on the ground behind the baunstamm, pulling me with him.

He groaned due to the impact of the fall, and i landed on top of him, giggling.

Usually i would have been quite embarressed by our situation, but due to the alcohol that clouded my mind, i couldn’t quite comprehendwhere exactly i was laying in this moment.

I rolled myself from on top of Newt back the ground, laying with outstreched arms, staring in the dark blue sky. As usual no stars were to be seen, only the moon.

Newt stood up slowly, dusting his pants off and then  extended his right hand to help me up.

I ignored his hand and instead smiled dreamily at him. “You have pretty hair”, i mumbled, more to myself.

“What?”

I sat up and raised my voice slightly.

“I said, you have pretty hair. I like it.”

Newt unconsiously runned his hand trough his hair and i could see a blush creeping up his neck, but then he shook his head.

“Y/N, you’re drunk and have no idea what you’re saying.”

“Maybe”, i yawned and closed my eyes, “i’m just gonna sleep now.”

Newt P.o.V

I sat next to her sleeping peacefully, softly snoring and her hair sprawled out on the ground. She smiled in her sleep and looked like a beautiful angel.

One strand of her hair laid across her face, and i streched out me hand in an attempt to carefully put it away from her face.

Suddenly someone jumped over the trunkand dropped down next to me, causing me to quickly pull my hand back.

“Is she sleeping? And why are you still just staring at her like a creep? Man up and ask her out!”

I suppressed a irritated groan. Minho.

“Bloody hell, be quiet! You’ll wake her up. And no, i’m not staring like a ‘creep’ and no, i’m also not gonna ‘man up and ask her out’. I already know her answer”, i hissed, careful not to be too loud. It would be a disaster if she’d wake up and hear the conversation.

“Alright, alright. Just get her in her room somehow, i’m sure she doesn’t want to sleep alone outside”

After Minho left again i picked her up, careful not to wake her, one arm under her knees the other around her shoulders, her head resting on my chest.

I walked over the glade with her, followed by someone whistling, probably Minho.

This kid was a pain in the ass.

I carried her upstairs, kicked the door open with my foot and then gingerly laid her down on her bed.

Smiling down at her, i sat on the edge of the thin matrass  and finally brushed that one persistent strand of hair that always stuck out, behind her ear.

Y/N let out a content hum in her sleep, turned her face slightly towards my hand and smiled.

“I wonder who you are dreaming about, love.” I stared down at my hands, sighing.

“You know, i wished… it was me, but i know that won’t - that won’t happen, right? I guess you like Tommy, do you? But i - i like you more. Maybe even love you. And you’ll probably never know, because i certainly won’t tell you. So i’ll just - just forget you, i guess.”

I stood up, slowly, and before i snuck over to the door, i bent down to her and pressed a featherlight kiss on her soft lips, the only kiss i would ever get to give her.

Our lips had barely even touched, but it had sent electricity through my whole body, and i had to hold myself from giving her another kiss.

Quickly i backed away, but before i could get out of the room, her eyes fluttered open and she yawned, sitting up.

“Newt?”

“Y/N…you’re awake.”

She rubbed her eyes. “Did you - did you just kiss me?”

I drew in a sharp breath. “Oh god, Y/N, i’m so bloody sorry! I never meant - i never wanted-” i stumbled over the words, my cheeks burning in embarrassment, “it’s ok if you hate me now, i should’ve never done this, i’m -”

“Did you mean it?”

I stopped my rambling, looking at her. Y/N sat on the bed, with her hair tousled. She looked absolutely breathtaking.

“Did you mean it?”, she repeated.

“Mean what?” i replied, nervous and confused. Why didn’t she just throw me out of the room?

“The kiss. And what you said … before.”

“You heard this?”

She didn’t answer, just smiled.

I suddenly thought of all the times Minho and Thomas had tried to encourage me to confess my feelings saying things like  'just man up and ask her out, you shank,’ and 'the worst she can say is no’, and i pulled myself together.

“I meant… every single word.”

Her smile got wider und she got up, stepping over to me.

I stared , transfixed by her, unable to move a single muscle in my body.

“That’s good, because otherwise i would be about to do something very, very stupid”, she mumbled, barely audible.

She cupped my face with her hands and brushed her lips lightly over mine. “I like you too. Maybe even love you”, she whispered against my lips, before i grabbed her at her waist, pulling her closer, kissing her with all the feelings i hid for so long .