Overprotective || newt

(A/N, not mine)

“So you’re telling me that she’s the only girl here in the middle of sixty or so boys?” Thomas was baffled. He frowned. “Isn’t that kind of hard for her? Y’know…”

“I guess,” Newt shrugged. “I hope not.”

Thomas gave him a confused look, to which Newt sighed.

“I make it quite clear to the others that if they do anything of the slightest that makes her feel comfortable, I’ll have their heads,” Newt spoke of it like it was the most normal thing ever.

“She seems to be really important to you.” Thomas muttered, eyeing his moonshine.

“She’s my life,” Newt said almost immediately. ”I’d fight off whatever buggin’ touches her if that’s what it bloody takes to keep her alive.”

As if on cue, you take a seat beside Newt, waving shyly at Thomas.

“Hi, Thomas,” you smile at him, wrapping your arms around Newt.

“Hi, Y/N.” he smiled.

“How’s the Glade so far? Has Gally gotten to you yet?” you teased.

“Nah.” he looked down, uncertain of what he should say. “I sure hope he doesn’t.”

You laughed. “Gally may be intimidating, but he’s a teddy bear inside.”

Newt spoke up. “That’s only when he’s around you, love.” and you were reminded of the subtle but constant conflict between Gally and your boyfriend.

“He’ll come around.” you replied, leaning on Newt’s shoulder.

“You tired?” Newt looked at you.

“I know you are,” you smiled, reaching out to stroke his cheek. “You should stop fussing over the Glade too much.”

“I’ll stop when the shanks get their klunk together.” Newt huffed, turning to Thomas. “I’ll take this one to bed before things get crazy.”

You pouted. “Oh, please. Minho hasn’t even started yet!”

“You are not going to watch Minho get drunk, Y/N.” Newt stood up and pulled you up with him.

“I’ll say good night to Minnie, at least.” you pleaded, to which Newt nodded and sat back beside Thomas.

“Minho’s the closest thing Y/N has to a brother,” Newt explained. “He’s good for her. He likes to have fun with her but he also knows when it isn’t bloody safe anymore. He takes care of her when I’m not around.”

Thomas nodded. “I can tell why you all like her so much.”

Newt chuckled. “Well, off I go. If I don’t go to her now, she’ll never leave his side.”

“Alright.”

Newt turned his back to Thomas and was about to limp away when Thomas spoke up.

“Newt?”

“Yeah?”

“Take care of her, okay? Don’t break her heart.”

Newt smiled sadly at him “If anything, she could break my heart by simply smiling.”