28. Falling (Edited)

Start from the beginning

I was only half listening to what Evan had said, but when he mentioned the fact that I had signed up to be in the fashion show my eyes widened like saucers, before I snapped to look at Evan, panic—stricken.

And then realization dawned on me.

Autumn. Lynn. Sawyer.

I am going to murder her.

"—I—I was just wondering if you wanted to be my partner? Er—I mean if we both get picked to be in the show first." he was fidgeting with his hands.

If my eyes were widened before upon realizing that Autumn had signed me up without telling me, you can bet they were even wider now. Evan was asking me to be his partner for the Prom Fashion Show?! I couldn't believe what I was hearing. I had dreamed of growing up and being asked to the Prom Fashion Show by Evan countless times, but now that the moment had come, now that my dream had finally come true it couldn't have felt any more wrong.

As I stood there, wondering how on earth I was going to break this news to Evan, how on earth I was going to tell him—without hurting his feelings—that I didn't want to go with him, I felt myself starting to panic.

I couldn't help the strained smile that appeared on my face. "Actually Evan—" I whispered, "I—" but as I stood there in front of him I couldn't bear to just tell him no without an explanation. I had to tell him something, so I said the first thing that blurted out of my mouth "I – s-s-someone's already asked me—to go with them ... and—I said yes." I whispered.

Evan seemed taken aback in that moment, the look of utter shock and disbelief visible on his features. And he wasn't the only one, because I myself couldn't believe that I had just turned down an offer to go to the Prom Fashion Show with the boy that I had dreamed of going with since I was 10.

"Oh."

I couldn't believe that I had turned down his proposal to go to the Prom Fashion, let alone lied about the fact that I was going with someone else, but I just couldn't go with him, no matter how long I had been in love with him, because things are different now. I'm not in love with him like I was before.

"I'm sorry," I whispered, the pain visible on my features, "I—!"

I couldn't believe I was lying to him. The Emery from a few months ago would have never done something like this.

"It's okay," he smiled politely, "it's fine. I hope you have fun."

I opened my mouth to tell him I was sorry again, but he walked away...without so much as a second glance in my direction, and even though I wasn't in love with Evan anymore, he would always still hold that special place in my heart. He would always still hold that special title of being my first love, and seeing him in pain, would never stop me from feeling it too, regardless of how things turn out between us.

The bell signaling the end of the day had rang and I was suddenly a girl on a mission. I grabbed my things out of my locker as fast as I could, marching through the hallways with a determination I'd never had before. People gave me sideways glances like I had grown three heads or something, but for the first time in my life I didn't care what people thought of me. I continued, heading to the entrance of the school, slamming the double doors open and stomping down the concrete stairs, before searching the parking lot. Sure enough, I spotted the culprit of my problem across the lot with Blake, before I marched over towards her. I didn't bother announcing myself as I got near them, I just grabbed her by the wrist and dragged her away from the crowd of people who were going to be witnesses to our small argument.