Chapter Twenty-Seven

Start from the beginning

He continues to talk about essay topics and other things, but my mind had already wandered off to the back on my head.

My mother had gotten the police involved in the matter of myself moving in with her. I had no choice but to move in with her because I am a minor and she got the police involved too. So tonight, I have to pack up my bags and leave the place I called home for 5 years now. But I know it'll only be temporary. I know my dad will be proven innocent and I will not fall into my mother's traps that easily.

 Finally the bell rang and the teacher dismissed us. I got up quickly and headed to the cafeteria, hoping to see Asami at our usual place.

It's been a five days since my mother threatened the both of us to stay away from each other. That was then followed by the teachers keeping a very close eye on us, making sure we never even see each other anymore. I've been keeping my distance for the last few days, trying to trick my mother into thinking that I had agreed to her decision. Thankfully, the teachers also had been lenient on their job too.

I scanned through the crowd in the cafeteria and spotted a familiar black haired beauty. She was reading a book. I didn't recognise it but I the cover was a picture of a building, so it was probably about architecture. The corner of her lips curled up as she read, tucking a strand of hair behind her ear. Her smile was the brightest it's ever been, and it made me happy seeing that way. But for some reason, something was different.

Would her life be better, if I was out of the picture?

But before I could ponder any further, I got elbowed by someone beside me. I snapped my head towards their direction and saw a curious Mako, with a playful smirk on his lips.

"What are we looking at?" He asks still smirking.

"N-nothing," I stutter with the intention to, mentally smacking myself for acting weird.

Mako doesn't seem to notice my flustered action and nods his head casually. "Anyway Bolin's coming back to school tomorrow." He informs me.

"Isn't it a bit early? He just got discharged three days ago."

"Well he said he wanted to get back to studying as soon as possible," He said as he emphasised air quotes on the word studying. "If you ask me, I bet he just wants to see you as much as possible."

That comment made my heart ache for some reason. It should have made me happy, but instead it made me anxious. Why was I so nervous about seeing Bolin as much as possible?

Before I could say anything else the bell rang, dismissing us from our 15 minute break. Mako waved goodbye as he headed to his next class. I knew I should probably do the same, but I had gotten the urge to talk to Asami, so I turned back to her direction. I caught a glimpse of her leaving the cafeteria.

I followed her but I could barely keep up. She was walking faster that usual. Was she avoiding me? There was no reason for her to, knowing that the teachers had already dashed their way to their classes. She made a sharp right turn to secluded toilet that not many people knew about. I made my way discreetly inside, making sure I wasn't seen or being followed by any student or teacher.

Once inside, I saw that only one stall was closed.

"Asami," I hesitated. "Can we talk?"

It was silent for a moment.

Then Asami came out slowly, her head hanging low. She was looking around, avoiding eye contact with me.

"Are you avoiding me?" I got straight to the point.

"N-no, w-what makes you s-say that?" She stuttered through the whole sentence, still averting her eyes away.

I stepped closer, but she backed away. I kept walking closer but she kept backing away. She backed away until she hit the wall. I placed my hands on either side of her, trapping her in the middle.

"Look at me, Asami." She slowly looked into my eyes, as if she was pleading for me to let her go, but there was also pain amidst it all.

"I thought we were in this together?" My words came out rather harshly, causing her to flinch. I didn't mean to frighten her, but I was also upset. She promised me she wouldn't leave me, yet here we were again, playing hide and seek.

"I can't do this right now." She tried to pry my arm away so she could escape, but I held my stance, keeping her trapped.

"Why not?" I half-yelled.

"Look, it's better this way," She tried to show anger and changed her stance, looking at me straight in the eyes but it was empty. It was as if her soul wasn't even there.

"It's better if we stop this right now, before it gets any further." She spoke monotonously. "We can't win against your mother, and I don't want to keep you away from your father."

My arms dropped to my side. My knees were becoming weak and my eyes became blurry. She remained emotionless and quickly side stepped me and headed towards the door.

I had thought that it would be better this way, for the both of us. She would get on with her life, pursue the things she liked instead of clinging to a hopeless case like me. My mother would probably loosen her grip around my neck and let me see my father as much as possible. But now that it was actually happening, I couldn't bare loosing her. I couldn't imagine my life without her. My heart ached so much, I could barely stand properly. I felt that at any moment I would collapse right here and now, on this bathroom floor.  

"Do you really mean that?" I spoke up, causing her to stop in her tracks, she had her back towards me, and I couldn't see the expression she had. I couldn't tell whether she was emotionless or as devastated as I was.

"Yes."

She then walked through the door, not even bothering to look back.