iii. a city full of infected

Comenzar desde el principio

A teasing smile appeared on her lips. "You're in America, so it's gas."

"If you're like this now, God knows how you're gonna be with every little thing we talk about," Kamille feigned annoyance, causing her to laugh. Kamille leaned over her and looked to Adam. "You were right about Americans thinking they're right all the time."

Adam chuckled as Alicia gasped and smacked her on the shoulder playfully.

"I'm totally kidding," Kamille retreated, smiling at how happy the teen looked. A happy start was the best start. "It's gas. Americans are perfect. The sky is blue."

Alicia rolled her eyes childishly and crossed her arms over her chest. All three of them looked ahead as Kamille reversed the truck out of its parking spot.

"It is gas, though," Alicia mumbled, causing Adam to erupt into laughter all over again.

Kamille glanced at the green-eyed girl briefly, feeling butterflies in her stomach at her playful smirk and piercing gaze. She suddenly didn't mind driving through a city full of infected.

"Well, this failed fast," Kamille stated as she pressed on the brakes slowly.

The roads ahead were backed up with abandoned vehicle after abandoned vehicle. The truck they were in felt useless now.

"We're going to have to walk," Alicia said, leaning forward to get a better look at their surroundings. "This is going to take forever. Fuck."

Kamille released a deep breath, not wanting to get worked up so soon. "We've got this. We just need to move fast, stay in the middle of the roads, keep an eye out on all sides. We may be able to make it to the coast by the end of this day if we don't encounter any problems."

Adam and Alicia didn't reply, so Kamille decided to do something and get out the truck. Her backpack was on her back, filled with everything she needed, and her dagger was tucked in her belt loop, hopefully not needing to be used. She held out her hand and Alicia gratefully accepted it and got out the car. Adam got out from the other side and joined them in no time.

"You okay walking, Alicia?" Kamille asked, furrowing her eyebrows with concern. Alicia was still resting her weight on Kamille's forearm, which made Kamille doubt her promise that she was okay that morning.

"Yeah, I'm good," she assured, releasing Kamille's arm and standing up straight. Jumping about on the spot a bit, she nodded, as if trying to convince herself. "I'm good."

"Awesome, let's get moving then. I'm getting the creeps being here already," Adam stated, shuddering visibly to make his point.

Kamille glanced at Alicia, who reassured the older girl with a small smile. It worked, so the three of them began their walk. It was silent on the roads. Shops and houses were smashed in, litter was strewn about, cars were parked awkwardly. It was warm out and the sun was shining down on them from above. It was all too apocalyptic for Kamille's liking. Almost laughable, if it weren't for the looming threat of infected possibly being nearby.

"Lovely day we're having," Adam broke the silence with a sarcastic comment.

Kamille stifled a smile at his efforts to lighten the mood.

"You excited to see your family?" she asked Alicia, deciding talking would get their minds off possible death.

Alicia nodded, her eyes still scanning her surroundings. "I don't think I've ever been away from them for this long."

"What are they like?" Adam asked curiously. "You've spoken of them, but not like, who they are."

Alicia smiled to herself, but there was something else there, too, Kamille noted. A hint of sadness. "It's complicated. I love them to bits, but we're a strange bunch. My brother... he's an addict. Which meant my mom was always looking after him. I was always looking after him..."