iii. a city full of infected

Start from the beginning

Kamille hummed in agreement as she moved some hair from her eyes. "Same, but you shouldn't get used to it. We just need to get her to her family as agreed. They must be worried sick."

Adam looked thoughtful. "Yeah... what do we do after she's with them, though? We'll be alone again. No home. Nowhere to go..."

Kamille offered up a somewhat reassuring smile, not wanting her brother to fall into that mindset so soon. "We'll find something. But let's not focus on that right now. We just need to help Alicia, yeah?"

Adam smiled weakly. "Yeah."

It was on the fourth day since meeting Alicia when they all decided it was best to begin their journey. Adam and Kamille had helped Alicia walk on both feet again, and her ankle was healing really well, so they decided to get a move on and not waste anymore time. They'd purposely woken up early in the morning so they could get a head-start on their journey.

"Over there," Alicia pointed in the distance. "We need to get to there and hopefully I'll find them."

The twins followed her finger and saw the horizon where the sky and sea met. There were some hills up there and Kamille could just about make out a few houses scattered about. Whoever this 'Strand' guy was supposedly had a home up there, and that's where Alicia's family would be waiting for her.

"Okay, well the good thing is, it's very easy to travel to since it's literally a straight line from where we are," Adam spoke aloud, his map in his hand. They'd snagged an old-fashioned book of maps for L.A. on their way to the unintentional visit to the garage, which was starting to come in handy. "The bad thing is, there's a city full of infected blocking our path."

Kamille saw Alicia frown as Adam revealed the harsh truth of their reality. Adam saw her whole upbeat mannerism disperse and Kamille could tell he felt guilty for ruining any hope she'd had.

"Fret not, darling," he immediately spoke, making himself sound posher. He held out his hand to Alicia and said, "Your mighty stead awaits. Also known as the abandoned truck I saw behind this garage. So that should help us get through."

The funny voice and acting put a smile on Alicia's lips again, and even elicited a laugh from the teen. She placed her hand in his and Kamille smiled as Adam cheered up the girl by continuing to put on a posh voice.

"Permission to lead you to the car?" he asked, quirking an eyebrow.

Alicia glanced at Kamille questioningly, to which Kamille raised her hands and smiled. "Go for it."

"Permission granted," Alicia played along, and the three of them headed to the truck Adam was talking about.

There were three seats for them all to squeeze into as it was a small pickup truck. Kamille volunteered to drive (thankfully the keys were left on the dashboard) and Alicia squeezed in between Adam and her.

"Lucky you got your driving license before this all went down," Adam joked as Kamille placed the key in the ignition.

"Somehow, I don't think that would have mattered in this instance," Kamille said, earning smiles from both of them.

As Kamille turned the key, she internally sighed in relief as the engine rumbled to life. The last thing they needed was more bad luck.

"Just enough petrol to get us where we want," she commented aloud, noting the tank was almost full. "Lucky us."

"You mean gas," Alicia corrected after a short moment.

"Petrol, love, not gas," Kamille retorted playfully.