Chapter 3: Going Back

The stars, beaming with elegance, surrounded the moon which declared power and magnificence across the heavens. At the top of the tower, situated on the hill, stood Calyx behind the big window who was gazing at the fantastic view. Insomnia really had a romantic way of making the moon feel like perfect company. After a while, she laid on her bed and tried to fall sleep –but she just couldn't. With a swift move, she reached for her cloak and whispered a chant which made her disappear into thin air.

In the midst of the dark and abandoned village, Calyx suddenly appeared.

It's hard to find your purpose when this cruel world emphasizes your insignificance. This is exactly how she felt –everyday. She heaved out a deep sigh. As the cold breeze flew her hood from covering her half of her face, she looked around and scanned the place, reminiscing every cherished memory she had before the place became as empty as it is now.

3 years ago, she was happy.

"Hey, Calyx! Last one to get home is a rotten egg!" Damian, her twin brother, said as he rushed off to their house. The 16-year-old Calyx, not wanting to lose, ran as well. Both of them were catching their breaths the moment they stopped in front of the door.

"You lose! Haha!" Calyx said to him and stuck out her tongue at him.

"Geez! When will I ever win against you?" He whispered while they both went inside.

"Go wash yourselves up, children. Dinner is gonna be ready in a bit," Alicia, the twins' mother, said.

At the dining table, everyone was happily eating dinner as they talk about how their day went.

"Dad, when I grow up, I wanna be like you. I wanna be good in making potions as well as with spells!" Damian said with full of enthusiasm. Calyx agreed with him. Nathaniel, their father, gave them an encouraging smile as they talked about their future.

It was a normal conversation for the Safiarri family. A simple family, indeed.

But the next day, everything changed.

A big fire burned the whole village. No one knew who or what caused the fire. Everyone panicked because it was no ordinary fire. It was a rare one which couldn't be easily put out by water nor a spell of mere witches. The case remained a mystery until now. No one survived the tragedy...except Calyx. People would probably say that she was lucky because she didn't die...but not for her. Because from then on, she lost them; her mother, father, Damian, and Ulysses, their 13-year-old brother. She lost not only her family, but the simple village she grew fond of as well.

A tear escaped from her left eye as a bitter smile curved her lips. She wanted to have a simple life, just like what she had 3 years ago. She wanted her family back but she knew that she couldn't bring them back to life –not with her current state. She sighed.

"If I can't bring back my family, the least I can do is to bring back the village I loved," she thought.

As she closed her eyes, the wind caressed her long raven black hair. She breaks the deafening sound of silence; chanting a spell which she has been practicing for quite some time now. A spectrum of light spread across the whole area. Bit by bit, the ground she was standing on grew fresh grass and bloomed of flowers. The dead and bald trees gradually grew leaves and fruits. The smell of nature greeted her nose. Some parts of the ground began to slowly lift up and assemble, forming into what were once the houses which stood 3 years ago.

Finally, she opened her eyes to see the result of her sleepless nights of learning the particular spell. A sudden warmth touched her heart.

"I really miss you...mom, dad, Damian, Ulysses," she whispered.

Little did she know, Ender was silently looking at the young sorceress from a tree nearby as the latter gives life to the deserted village.