Chapter Nineteen

Mulai dari awal

"When you helped Abigail. Not many people would do that." He shuts the door and I shadow him up the staircase.

"She reminded me of me. Before you came, no one was there to help me, so I figured I should help her." We walk into his bedroom and I dump my stuff onto the floor beside his bed.

I stare out the window at the astonishing view, while he mumbles, "You know I won't let that happen to you again. I'm going to protect you."

I turn around and catch his gaze. I step towards him and hesitantly take his hand in mine. I intertwine our fingers, and he smiles a small smile. "I know."

Breaking away our gaze, I motion to our bags. "Now, let's help you pass this test."

---

We sit on his bed for what must be hours. I lie back on the bed after explaining the phases of mitosis for the tenth time and he finally grasps it.

Sighing in relief, I say, "You're ready."

"Seriously?" he asks, surprised. He jumps into standing position while I nod.

He laughs, the corners of his eyes creasing, and picks me up from the bed.

His hands meet my waist and he spins me around, and I giggle like a little girl.

"Thank you!" He repeats it over and over, finally putting me down and pulling me to his chest.

I snuggle into his grey hoodie, wrapping my arms around his waist.

I look up at him, smiling. "You're welcome."

He stretches out his hand. "Come on."

"Where are we going?" I ask as I take it. Without responding, he tugs me along, down the stairs and out the door.

"I wanna show you something," he calls over his shoulder as we stumble down the steps and turn left into the woods.

The sky is beginning to darken, but not quickly enough that we can't see where we're going.

Hands still locked together, we fast-walk through the greenery, weaving in and out of trees.

After what feels like hours of restless walking, we slow to a stop in front of a large tree with thousands of leaves on its many branches.

We step closer, and I notice something carved into the trunk.

In perfect letters, indented into the bark, are the words, Lena and Caleb.

I trace my fingers along the letters in awe.

I turn around to look at him, and ask, "You did this?"

He nods, looking slightly embarrassed.

I move closer to him, and murmur, "I love it."

"I wanted to thank you for tutoring me, and since the woods is kind of our place..."

I smile up at him, as he steps closer to me, wrapping his arms around my waist.

I curl my own arms around his neck, so that our bodies are pressed together. His warmth keeps away the bitter evening air.

He leans in, putting his hand onto my neck. We are so close, until it begins to pour it down with rain. Even the leaves can't keep the heavy sheets away.

And out of all things, we laugh. Loudly and wildly and freely. He watches me as I chuckle at the rain wetting our hair and clothes.

And this time, he doesn't stop. He leans in and presses his lips against mine.

Fire pulses through me, making my veins burn and my heart race.

He grins when I don't pull away and brushes his lips against mine again, as my arms that are looped around his neck tighten. He puts his hands around my waist again and pulls my body closer to his, if that is even possible.

We break apart, both equally as breathless, and he grips my hand in his. He tows me to the house, and we begin to sprint, the urgency of needing each other taking over. We dodge out of the trees obstructing our path, vaulting over roots and shrubs.

We crash through the door, completely drenched, but his lips lock with mine again the second we are inside. He slams the door shut and we move up the stairs, to his room.

When we're inside, I crash my lips against his again, our bodies pressing against each other.

He pins me to the wall, hands moving to the wall on either side of my head, and he kisses me passionately.

His lips trail down my neck, planting kisses down to my collarbone, giving me time to breathe.

I run my hands through his hair, and he eventually finds my sweet spot.

"Caleb..." I moan, as he lips move upwards. They suck on my ear lobe, and he nibbles slightly, making me bite my bottom lip with my top teeth.

I place my hands onto his back and claw into it, but immediately soften when I remember the scars there.

I move my lips to his jaw and send a trail of kisses there, while he tilts his head back.

When we finally break away, both of us at a loss for breath and words, he stares at me with a look of passion and longing for more.

He whispers in a smooth, alluring voice, "You have no idea how long I've wanted it do that."

"Then do it again," I say softly.

He grins and his lips meet mine once more.