.page nine

13_Across: I started with the idea of the "posies" being more than a flower, like a tangible object of importance or affection. Something that would be given to Lerosy, as the commenters mentioned earlier, after they pledge their love to someone. Here's what I found. During the 17th Century, which is the time when the nursery rhyme "Ring Around The Rosie" originated, there was a popular trend among the English to gift their lovers with something called a posy, which was a gold finger ring. These rings were special because they were engraved with heartfelt words and even short poems. Arthur Lee Humphreys [weblink] compiled a collection of "Posy-ring Mottoes" in the early 20th Century. Here's how he described them: "Posies are the poetry of posy rings and kisses. They will be found to explain themselves. These couplets are just innocent pretty things to which we might well return." They were messages of love engraved in a ring, which is a strong image indeed. Poseys CAN be powerful. (Think of Frodo's job in Lord of the Rings) So, one could draw from this connection to the nursery rhyme, if we use the word Lerosy in place of The Rosie, that the mythical figure of Lerosy takes on a sort of cupid persona, wherein he grants the wish of one heart by bonding it to another. For this, he requests a fee — your posie. Then you (and others) ring around him, with a collection of posies rattling around in his pocket. What do you think?

brain_deluted: Wow ^ no joke, this sounds legit

ominous_debt: are there any examples of a posy?

13_Across: I'll copy and paste some from his book. It's in the public domain.

13_Across: A kis for this

13_Across: Hand heart and all I have is thine. Hand heart and all thou hast be mine.

13_Across: Eternally my love shal be

13_Across: In thee a flame in me the same

13_Across: Love me true as I do you

13_Across: I live if aye if no I die

sweet_homebody: youshouldnthavepostedthat

13_Across: No crosse so strange my love to change

13_Across: One love one troth between us both

13_Across: Prepared be to follow me

13_Across: Rather dye than faith deny

Sherbrooke_climber: I like I love I live content I made my choice not to repent

Stanford_prof: All I refuse but thee I chuse

horoscopy_959: Keepe Fayth Till Deth

blakely_cake1: Desire hath no rest

kush_recker: What about the one with the woman from Nantucket?

!_astronutbag_!: I'm sorry, but that's some funny s***

STILL_whinging: It's okay you don't have to get a word in everytime guy

ObiWisdom_808: Lerosy surrounds us. He penetrates us. He binds us.

really_white_dad: Lerosy to rule them all. Lerosy to find them. Lerosy to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them.

latchkey_lex_2000: Your theories are well and good, but my daughter didn't have any rings, let alone engraved ones. Somehow I'm more confused.

Baristarexia: No, but the hidden username hacker did ask her to bring "it" with. Clearly "it" meant something similar to a traditional posie, or at least what it used to represent.