Cheating The Deck {29} END

"Ace."

I buried my head deeper into my pillow, my mind desperately clinging to sleep. I was tired, and I was not waking up without a damn fight.

"Ace!"

My head snapped up as someone punched me in the back of the head. I groaned and glared up at Jer. Okay, I didn't literally expect a damn fight.

"I'm sleeping," I said, gesturing to my bed.

"Not anymore. Get the fuck up," he said and left my room, the door still open.

I rubbed at my eyes and kicked my covers off, swinging my legs over the side of the bed. I could smell breakfast food, which was the only thing encouraging me to get up right now. If it wasn't for the food, I would totally go right back to sleep.

Instead, I forced myself up and into clean clothes. I pulled my beanie on securely over my messy hair and left my bedroom, going to the bathroom. I brushed my teeth and splashed a little cold water on my face to help myself wake up.

Jack and I had gone out last night to see a midnight movie premiere for some film he'd been excited about. We'd ended up parked on the side of a quiet road, listening to a new CD Jack had grabbed earlier in the day and occasionally kissing. It had been a relaxed night, but we'd still been out late, and I was tired.

I went downstairs and into the kitchen, where Jer, Christian, and Ike were moving around. Food was on the table, and putting a sight to that delicious smell had my mouth watering.

"Hey, quit drooling and grab plates," Ike said, noticing me.

I moved into the bustle of the morning with them, grabbing plates and maneuvering around the busy kitchen with a familiar ease. Once we had the table messily set, we took our seats and dug into the breakfast.

It wasn't exactly a feast for kings, but it was more than we usually got. The grocery store had hosted a good sale, and Christian was one of those people who hoarded coupons. So, we'd stocked our shelves and decided to spoil ourselves for a little.

Even now, I dug into waffles and tater tots and tried to remind myself that this kind of breakfast wouldn't become the norm. My stomach didn't mind, though, and enjoyed the treat.

"What time does everyone work today?" Christian asked. "I need the car to get to my grandfather's tonight. It's supposed to rain and I don't want to bike."

"I have to leave in an hour. The old man is going to have to wait until I get home. Fuck you if you think I'm biking to the other side of town," Jer said.

"Ace and I have the day off," Ike said. "You're just waiting on Jer."

"Yea, yea, you assholes enjoy your Saturday off. Someone has to make the damn money around here," Jer growled.

"You had two days off last week and we had none," Ike said, standing up with his now empty plate. "It's about time you pull your weight around here."

"Shut the fuck up!" Jer narrowed his eyes at Ike.

"Always a pleasant breakfast when you three are involved. I truly cherish our bonding time together," I said, getting up with my plate as well.