Cheating The Deck {10}

I let out a groan as I cracked my eyes open. I was in a dark, unfamiliar room. Judging by the steady pounding in my head and the twisting of my stomach, I had gotten pretty drunk last night.

I realized that I was in Jack's room. Jack himself was slumped against his dresser, fast asleep.

There was a blanket draped over his windows to block out any sunlight, so I had no idea what time it was. My shirt was off on the floor, but my pants were still on, so I was assuming I hadn't had sex last night.

I slowly sat up, rubbing my head as if that would make my headache go away. My stomach threatened mutiny, but I took a few deep, slow breaths to ease away the nausea.

There was a water bottle on the nightstand that was half empty and two full ones next to it. I grabbed the half empty one and slowly drank it, easing the thirst screaming in my throat.

How the hell had I ended up in Jack's room last night? I tried to think back on everything that had happened, fuzzy details slowly clearing.

Alexis. The guys had called Alexis in to come talk to me. He had told me I was becoming my father, then I'd stolen the money and gone to the bar. I remembered ordering drink after drink at the bar, but I couldn't remember leaving the bar. I had no idea what I'd done to end up lying shirtless in Jack's bed. Had he found me at the bar? Had I walked here on my own? And where the hell was Delaney?

"Ace?"

Jack's voice was coated thick in sleep. His eyes were partially open and he stretched a little, yawning.

"You're up," he mumbled, rubbing at his eyes. "Shit, man, what time is it?"

"I don't know," I said, lying back down and pinching the bridge of my nose. "I need something for my headache."

"I'm not a damn nurse," he said. He ran a hand through his red mane. "Top drawer."

I pulled open the top drawer of his nightstand, where there was an assortment of various medicines. I grabbed one for my headache and took the pills with some water, putting them back and shutting the drawer.

"Lot of medication," I said.

"I have a shitty immune system." He stretched again and stood up. "Alright, you're awake. Now you can leave my room."

"How did I end up in your room?" I asked.

He raised an eyebrow. "You don't remember last night?"

"My pants are still on, so it couldn't have been that exciting," I said.

"I have more dignity than to sleep with you," he said. "You literally showed up at my house and fell into my arms last night."

"I've been told I'm very romantic," I said.

"Oh yea, nothing makes me swoon more than a guy stumbling into my arms reeking of alcohol," Jack said. "Can you get out of my bed now? You're lucky you didn't throw up. I would've punched you so hard that your great-great grandchildren would've felt it." He eyed me. "What do you remember?"

"I remember going to the bar and nothing after that. I don't know how I ended up here," I said, rubbing my head again. The pills had quieted my headache from a roaring pain to a dull growl.