Cheating The Deck {8}

"Like hell, I'm spent. You were someone I shouldn't have met! For your own sake let's take my side for once!" I sang as I cleaned the kitchen floors.

Delaney had been spending every day with Ace the past week. He would go over to Ace's house while all of Ace's friends were at work. He claimed that they were just hanging out and not having sex, but I could tell he wouldn't mind if it did dissolve from conversation to passion.

Despite all the talking and getting to know each other that they were apparently doing, Delaney still didn't know that Ace was technically M.I.A. I guess that Ace didn't think that little detail was important when you were getting to know a guy.

I'd done a lot more digging online, more curious about how Ace had managed to go undetected for five years than actually curious about Ace himself. But other than all the missing posters and a few times he appeared in his local newspaper for school awards, the guy didn't seem to exist at all. Not even on the website of the restaurant he worked at, Magellan's.

He didn't appear on their website or in a single news article written about them. He didn't appear in any of the group photos for the restaurant. The only time his name ever came up was from people posting reviews and talking about what a great waiter he was, but none of the reviews included his last name.

He was incredibly sneaky, I guess. Great. How wonderful that Delaney had gotten caught up with the guy.

The door downstairs opened and shut. I listened as someone came up the stairs, and continued my singing. Give 'em a show.

"If I could be myself for just a minute, and god forbid I'm pleased with myself in this relationship," I sang, my voice loud and horribly out of tune.

"You'd think I'd get used to this after living with you for so long," Delaney said as he came into the kitchen. "Why do you always have to clean the floor in your boxers?"

"At least I'm cleaning the floor," I said. "It'll still be just as clean even with my lack of clothing."

Delaney shook his head. "Fine, fine. I can deal with your lack of pants if you just stop singing. If Kaneki sang while Jason tortured him, it would sound exactly like whatever the hell you were just doing," he said.

"I wasn't really going for a Tokyo Ghoul sound with that song. It was supposed to be more, I don't know...maybe in the tune of a dying goat? But like a sacrificial dying goat," I said.

"I'll get the dishes if you promise to never make those horrendous noises again," he said, moving over the sink and picking up a sponge, attacking the dirty dishes that had been steadily piling up.

"Were you are Ace's?" I asked.

Delaney nodded. "Yea, we were hanging out in his backyard."

"What about the guys he lives with?" I asked. "Were they home? You were there later than usual tonight."

He shrugged. "Ace and I got talking, that's all. And his friends weren't home yet. Ace had to leave to get to work."

I'd let the subject of how dangerous and manipulative Ace was drop after realizing that bringing it up was only playing into the bastard's hands. He was using Delaney to get back at me, which meant he was charming his way into Delaney's heart and clouding his judgement. Delaney would only fight with me if I tried to stop him from seeing Ace.