Cheating The Deck {3}

I cracked my eyes open, feeling exhausted. I looked over, seeing Dex fast asleep next to me.

I sat up, rubbing my eyes and running my hands through my hair. I needed some coffee and a shower.

Crawling out of his bed, I pulled my clothes on and made sure I had my wallet and phone. I crept out of his room, closing the door quietly as I went.

I checked my phone, but had no texts or missed calls. Not even surprised, I stuffed the phone back in my pocket and walked through the kitchen.

"Leaving so soon?"

I jumped and spun to face the boy who'd pulled Dex away from me at the bar the other night. He was sitting at the kitchen table on a laptop.

"I knew you were a hit it and quit it guy," he said with a sigh.

"What, do you want me to go back in there and cuddle him?" I asked, raising an eyebrow. I yawned and rubbed at my eyes again. "I don't cuddle. I don't wait around for them to wake up so we can have a tearful parting of ways."

He stood up, moving over and grabbing a mug. He poured some coffee into it and held it up towards me. "Want a cup?"

"You're offering me coffee after judging me?" I said.

"I never said I was judging you. I was just pointing out that I was right about you," he said, pouring coffee into another mug and pressing it into my hands. "Dex is a big boy, he can make his own decisions. Poor decisions, might I add. But that's his own problem."

I sipped on the coffee, glad I could check that off my list. I checked the time and realized how early it was. Damn, I was going to be tired at work today.

"Were you waiting for me to wake up?" I asked.

The boy shook his head. "Nah, don't flatter yourself. I was getting some stuff done."

He was dressed in sweatpants and a T-shirt, looking like he had only been awake a little longer than I had. He had a hat on with a little red hair spilling out of it, and while he looked cute, he also looked like he wouldn't care what I thought of him.

He sat back down at his laptop, typing on it a little. "Finish up your coffee and get out. I'm not making you breakfast. Your Dex's problem, not mine," he said.

"Damn, and here I was hoping to get the full deal," I said, taking another swallow of coffee.

"Nope. I have more important things to do than take care of my roommate's one night stands," he said, eyes focused on his laptop screen. "Damn, if I can finish this today, I'm taking myself out as a reward."

I leaned against their counter, looking around the apartment. The kitchen branched off into a small living room. There was a set of stairs outside of Dex's room, so I was assuming they had another level with more rooms.

A door opened and then Dex stumbled out, half dressed and looking like he was hardly awake at all. The boy at his laptop glanced up.

"Oh, Jesus," he said, shaking his head.

"Jack," Dex said, gripping the table for support. "Jack, my floor smells like alcohol."