ONE

Timber's Point of View

"So baby pull me closer in the backseat of your rover. That I know you can't afford, bite that tattoo on your shoulder. Pull the sheets right off the corner of that mattress that you stole, from your roommate back in Boulder. We ain't ever getting old," I sang with my earphones in.

It was almost two o'clock in the morning and I was singing because I couldn't sleep. Suddenly everything goes silent. I pull out my phone to see that it's dead. As I put it on the charger, I hear a voice outside my window.

"You know, Black, if you're planning to follow through with singing, don't. Woke me up and made my ears bleed," a deep voice calls out.

I walk to my open window and look out. Directly adjacent to mine is a window with Lance Milton sitting on the window sill. His legs were dangling and softly hitting the side of his house while his hands gripped the sill to make sure he didn't fall.

"Sorry, I didn't know I would achieve my goal." I crawl onto my sill and get into the same position as him.

"What are you doing up so late, anyways?" Lance asks, looking at me with his accusing eyes.

"Couldn't sleep." I look up at the moon. That wasn't the real reason, but I didn't want to explain.

"I'll be over in a minute. Backdoor unlocked?" He pulls on his jacket and looks back out the window for an answer.

I nod and walk back over to my bed, grabbing all the supplies on the way. Cookies, pop tarts, crackers and some other candies that I have stashed away in a drawer. My bedroom door opens and Lance walks in with two glasses of water and four various flavors of soda.

"What happened, Timber?" Lance asks, setting everything down on the bed before sitting down next to me.

"I don't think you want to know," I reply, looking down at my gray bed sheets.

My whole room was painted a light gray, along with the color of my sheets. Lamps and pictures around the room were red themed while books laid sprawled out on my desk. On top of all the books was a letter addressed to me.

Dear Timber,

Why are you still here? I thought I told you to say goodbye. Do us all a favor and go kill yourself.

~Love sent from

Brianna

I try not to look at it too often. Lance would catch on quickly, but I didn't want him to find out. He was my best friend, but Brianna makes him so angry. He's actually almost pulled out his hair in frustration.

Lance stands up from my bed and walks around my room. He starts at the desk where the note is, and fortunately passes it. As I sit there watching him, he makes a slick move and grabs the note.

"What the hell is this, Timber?" Lance practically yells.

"A paper. With words," I mutter sarcastically.

Lance snaps his head up. I'm only sarcastic when I'm mad or sad. He studies my face to try and see if I'm either.

"Do you think about it?" He asks quietly, his voice barely above a whisper.

"Honestly?" I ask. He nods his head in which I respond with a sigh. "I have. How could I not?"

My mind is spinning as I think back to my bathroom. My ghostly white skin having red streaks going down it. Of course, Lance didn't know this. If he did, I wouldn't have to commit suicide. He would kill me himself.

Lance shakes his head, making his black hair swing slightly. There is no lying when I say Lance is very good looking. His green eyes and black hair seem to give him his good looks, making him very attractive. However, he is my best friend and always will be.

"Have you ever tried?" His voice was even quieter than the last time, tears were filling his eyes as he looks down at the ground.

I shake my head, but hold out my arms. Lance walks over to me, rolls up my sleeves, and lets a tear slip down his face. Just seeing that tear, made me regret ever cutting myself. I was crying now, too. Lance got down to his knees, body shaking, and pulls me closer by my hands. He places his head on my stomach. Both of our arms were wrapped around each other as we cried.

"Why?" Lance sobbed into my shirt, soaking it with his tears.

"Why not?" I replied weakly.

Flashback

"Oh my gosh, Lance! What happened?" I questioned, covering my eyes.

Lance's arm was bent in an odd shape and had a few marks of blood on it.

"I jumped from a tree," Lance replied, wincing.

"Why?" I asked, getting my phone out.

"Why not?" He replied with a grin.

"Timber, this is serious," Lance says, lifting his head.

"You're not there, Lance! You don't know what it's like!" I yell back, tears cascading down my face like a waterfall.

"Then tell me!" He yells, standing up. He's starting to get really mad.

"Getting bullied for being different! Wearing a freaking back brace that everyone thinks is so odd, they just can't keep their mouth shut from rude comments. Being so pale that people say they're blinded. So skinny that you have nothing and everyone teases you about it. No one thinks it affects me, no one, but Brianna. She knows because I trusted her enough to tell her. And guess what? She turned her back on me and tells everyone. You don't go to my school, you would never know, Lance," I scream at him, clutching tightly at my hair while more tears stream down my face. "No one cares."

I collapse onto my bed and put my head in my hands. I finally spilled it all to him. The bed dipped beside me as Lance took a seat. We both stayed silent for a moment, too deep in our own thoughts to talk.

"I care," Lance whispers.

"I know you do. That's why I let you in my house at two in the morning and let you eat all my cookies," I mutter with a chuckle.

"I mean it, Timber. I care about you so much."

I look up at him to see he's already staring at me. He opens his mouth to say something, but closes it.

"What were you going to say?"

"Nothing, Timber. Let's get to bed." He sighs and stands up, looking disappointed with himself.

"Will you stay?" I whisper. I didn't even think he heard me.

"Of course I will."

Lance and I lay next to each other silently after I turned out the lights. I could hear his steady breathing, knowing he has already fallen asleep. And with his peace in my mind, I drifted off.