When Lightning Strikes: Chapter 11

The weeks had flown by fast. How did I know? It was already Aubrey and Jason’s engagement party! I remember that it had only been a few weeks ago when I had met Cale and Stella.

Teaching, essay papers and studying were the three things which had been on my mind for the past weeks. They had kept me busy and so I was looking forward to letting myself loose.

I watched as the flimsy material of my dress trailed beside me, leaving a path of embroidered gold. I had already received a few compliments on my outfit, making me flustered, but Ruby had told me to ‘embrace my beauty’. Psh. What beauty was there?

The angelic white dress I had initially wanted to wear was across the room, sparkling along with its wearer, Aubrey. It wasn’t like I was jealous – it was just a bit heartbreaking to know that instead of me, my sister was able to wear the dress I had fallen in love with at the department store.

I thought about how it ended up in her arms and it slightly cheered me up. Giving it to her was for a good cause. I would never want her to suffer humiliation or become upset at her own party.

Aubrey’s alarmed voice through the narrow hallway outside my bedroom had caught my attention this afternoon. My door had flown open to reveal my sister in her silk robe.

I had exclaimed the obvious. “Aubs, you aren’t dressed yet!”

She had stamped her foot, distressed, and cried out, “My dress! Instead of silver, it’s become a gaudy grey-pink from the wash!”

Pity had filled me. She would be meeting her future extended family and friends without the outfit she had wanted, and last-minute changes weren’t what Aubrey was used to. She planned; she organised and expected everything to come out perfect.

“Whatever am I going to do?!”

I had watched as Aubrey moped on the softness of my carpet for a few minutes. Her mascara had been running down her cheeks and blotching her eyes. I had desperately tried to think of a solution for the problem at hand and managed to say, “How about we find an old dress of yours? Surely that will do?”

“I can’t wear an old dress! I can’t!”

I heaved a sigh as I looked back at the conversation. After that, she had quickly come up with an idea: for me to give my dress to her, as it was brand new.

How could I have said no?

But it wasn’t like I couldn’t have a good time without it, right?

To be honest, I felt a little lonely as I stood by the arched entrance. I absently stroked the petals of the white and red tulips beside me and watched as the party started to unfold.

I spotted my mother chatting with a woman who was obviously Mrs Levine. Her dark golden brown hair had definitely passed onto her children, although Delilah’s was lighter in colour. She looked like a friendly person and wore a ruffled blouse with dark, tailored pants.

Mom meanwhile, looked gorgeous in her wrap dress. Ever since I was small, I loved it when she dressed up for special occasions. I had always thought she looked like a Queen. The weirdest thing was that she didn’t seem to realise how beautiful she was.

Dad sure knew though. I could see him sneaking admiring glances in her direction and snickered.

“What’s so amusing?”

I turned and felt a shock go through me. Jason stood merely an inch away and was dressed in his light blue dress shirt and dark grey slacks. It clung to his body nicely and complimented his sun-kissed skin. My body couldn’t help but heat up by his presence.