6 ||

Chapter 6

Sunday went by in a hangover blur and by Monday I was starting to feel my normal self again, just with a pounding headache that seemed to never want to go away.

Why did I drink? It seemed I was a light weight to say the least but I continued to abuse my liver for the fun of it.  I blamed Sarah.

Sarah and I had gotten so close lately and I was glad. It was harder to work in a place without your family around you to go home to. Still, knowing Sarah was a good friend of mine made the whole ordeal a little less daunting.

I was sorting out the boxes that had come through the door this afternoon on the staff room floor. There were loads of them, boxes full of contents needed. You had toothbrushes and bars of soaps, which I had to organise in to their own boxes.

It seemed as if the exciting stuff just wasn't coming my way today.

I took me almost an hour and a half to organise all of the boxes and by the time they were done, my boss came barrelling in to the room.

"Have you done the boxes?" She asked as she made her way to the coffee machine. I would have killed for a coffee right about now.

"Yes ma'am." I stated back. She nodded her head as she studied the coffee before her.

"Great, I now have another task at hand for you, Collins."

Great.

"What's that?" My stiff body managed to scramble up from the floor. I swear I heard my back squeak and crack as I moved.

"I need you to take these boxes to another room. They can't stay here, they're just in the way."

"Sure. No problem." I tried to smile through my pain. To be fair, I just wanted to go home. I loved my job but I didn't like working when I felt like this. "Where?"

"The stock room." Okay, but I didn't know where that was. "Top floor." The words made my heart beat as Aaron came to mind. Top floor? Was my life going to get any more coincidental?

I started to grab a the boxes and luckily they weren't too heavy. I managed to pick two up at a time and take them to top floor. I used the staff elevator and thanks the heavens we had one. It made life so much easier.

As soon as I got to top floor with my two boxes, I felt antsy as if I was looking out for something, someone. Deep down, I was. Aaron King. I didn't know why I was waiting for him to pop around the corner, maybe I was hoping for it at the same time I was nervous about it. What would I do if I saw him? I could fight him off yesterday but I didn't think I had the strength to do so today.

I opened the stock room on top floor and quickly pushed them inside. I went back down to grab the last two boxes and did the same routine.

However, as soon as I got back to the stock room, before I opened the door it was as if my body knew there was a presence inside. I could feel him before I even knew he was there, before my brain had time to catch up with my body.

Shit. Was he really in there?

I was sweating from pulling the boxes around and now I was nervously sweating because the man I had been trying to avoid was now behind the door.

I put the boxes down before my feet and took in a deep breath. I was already starved of the most important thing I needed and I hadn't even caught sight of him yet.

I had to be brave. I mean, if I just left these boxes here then I would have a right earful from the woman in charge. She wasn't someone you could mess with lightly and quite frankly I wasn't really in the mood for an ear bashing.