XVI

"It's cold even in the carriage,"Mini rubbed her arms for warmth. The night was cold and she had dared to have worn thinner cloth.
But she couldn't say much for the shirtless man next to her who seemed to have been completely fine in the unforgiving temperatures of the autumn night that would soon belong to the winter. It was only a matter of time before the first snowflake was to kiss the surface of the earth.
Natsu across from her didn't care for the cold, his body was warm enough with the blonde woman leaning against him as she slept. He couldn't wait for her to awaken and slowly look up to him.
For now he would hold back excitement with relief he had found her and she was in his arms, but he was a bit concerned for her red nose and cheeks. She may have gotten a cold by the winds that chilled them to their bones. Her cloak wasn't enough to block out the dropping temperatures, and neither was her gown.
He looked away from her down to his lap to see his small companion move to look up at him. Natsu kept a hand on Happy's back, giving him some heat to comfort him.
"This is boring,"Gray sighed into his hand.
"Such a downer,"Mini huffed into her hands trying to warm them,"How about you speak and make it less 'boring'? Did you even think of that?"
Gray scoffed, but he suggestion wasn't a bad one to relieve his boredom,"Maybe,"he grumbled.
"I'll take that as a 'no',"she shook her head.
"Even so, there is nothing we can talk about-"
"How about the fact that you're naked?"Natsu said bluntly, looking at him with a disgusted look. Gray jumped, not even noticing.
"You didn't feel a breeze down there or anything? How could you be so oblivious?"Mini sighed,"Princess better not wake up now to see this pervert."
Natsu nodded in agreement and so did Happy.
"I swear you three..."Gray groaned.
Natsu let out a small laugh, looking back down to Lucy. She looked so much like the late king, Jude. And almost identical to her mother the queen, Layla who died before he even met Lucy. But he remembered the massive memorial of Lucy as a baby with Layla holding her and Jude next to her, his hand on her shoulder. Lucy would stare at it when he had nothing else to do.

>few hours<

Lucy's eyes slowly opened, her hazelnut eyes blinking before regaining their full vision to the world out side of her unconscious.
She was alone in the carriage, making her question many things. The only light was from the outside, and based on the orange hue it gave, it was rising.
She let her breath roll in the cold air, showing itself to her by a faint cloud that went away in seconds.
"Princess, you've finally awoken."
Lucy sat up straight and looked to see who spoke,"Mini? What on earth happened?"she questioned, slowly raising her hand to her head,"My head feels as of it had been hit by a boulder."
"Instead of a 'boulder', it was a carriage. I stopped to suddenly and you hit your head hard. You've been out for quite some time,"Mini explained,"But I do not think that will matter in just a few seconds."
"What do you mean?"Lucy asked, sliding to the edge of the seat as she pulled up her hood. Mini put her hand out for Lucy to take. Lucy slipped her hand in hers and made her way into the rising sun's gaze.
"Princess-"
"Where are we?"Lucy asked.
"We stopped just outside of Kasagi, we believed a night of driving two carriages made the horses tired, so their drinking by the small river where everyone else is freshening up."
Lucy raised her brow,"two carriages?"
"Princess, your will drop from happiness when you find out!"Mini squealed,"A small group of four from the same guild Leo is in has joined us for our journeys-"Mini stopped herself, giving Lucy a nervous smile. Lucy especially has expressed the importance of their journey, and spoke about how it must be secret.
Mini scratched the back of her head,"I know you'll scold me, but-"
"Natsu?"Lucy spoke in question, not believing her own eyes as a tall, tan man was walking towards her looking down. His hair was cherry blossom and his shoulders were of bold posture. His torso was covered by a dark, ebony jacket, keeping him warm from the drawing winter's nights. Baggy white bottoms covered his legs, and big, black boots ran up his shins. A white scarf wrapped around his neck, his scarf seemed as if it were made from a dragon's scales.
Lucy's hands grasped onto her hood tightly, pulling it down onto her head with force that began to make her neck sore. She didn't know what to do with her sweaty hands other than grab at the nearest thing to her and they went to her fur lined hood.
She couldn't see much, her vision was limited now of her pulling her hood down as far as it could, but she could see his boots that stopped at least a foot away from her.
"I'm glad to see you are doing well, Luce,"he spoke, his voice... Was kind and relieved. She couldn't help but admit to herself that the way he said 'Luce', was a bit sexy.
"Y-Yes,"she squeaked.
"I hope you'll see after her?"Mini smirked up at Natsu. He only nodded.
"M-Mini-"
"I have some things I need to discuss with Gemi, you'll be fine,"Mini waved and left her to be with a man she had not seen in years. And the last time she had was a very depressing time where fire surrounded them and all she could to was hide the injured teen under her bed. Now that teen has grown quite taller and looked way hotter as well.
"It's been seven years, that's a long time,"Natsu sighed, walking over to the door of the carriage and sitting on the step into it.
"Quite,"she nodded,"I hope these years have been spent well."
Natsu ran his hand in his hair, messing it up,"Searching for a precious woman for seven years, hoping to see her again has paid off so I'd say my time has been spent well."
Lucy frowned,"You weren't suppose to look for me,"she lowered her arms from her hood.
"It didn't matter, I wanted to find you."
"I didn't hide you so you could waste your years spent searching for me-"Lucy shook her head,"I promised I'd see you again, that was for me to do."
"A promise goes both ways, and now... I get to see you."
"But you ruined seven years for yourself searching for some girl-"
Natsu grabbed her wrist tightly,"Luce, you are not 'some girl'. You are much more than that,"he stated as he stood up. He let go of her wrist and pinched the hem of her hood, slowly pushing it back to slide down to reveal her red face. She didn't protest to him seeing her tears running silently down her face.
"I told you I'd be taller than you one day,"he smiled lightly down at her. Her eyes traveled up to meet his soft ones that stared at her as if he was gazing at a precious treasure.
"Do you still make pancakes?"she wiped her tears with the sleeve of her dress, smiling for a second before sniffling a bit.
"The best pancakes,"he assured, he put out his arm, his palm pressing against the back of her head making her walk to him. His other arm wrapped itself around her waist.
He felt her fingers curl into fists, taking clumps of his jacket into her grasp. He didn't mind, she could hit him for all he cared. He wouldn't do anything and he would just accept it.
"I am happy to see nothing has happened to you,"Natsu whispered sweetly, lightly stroking her hair to calm her,"I do not know what I would do if I had learned of you injured, or worse... dead."
"I-I believe you would do something regrettably reckless,"she chuckled through her sniffles, pushing against his chest to take a small step back. She wiped the tears from her eyes,"I did not think I would cry so easily after seeing you."
"What can I say?"he shrugged with a cocky grin,"You must've missed me~"
"You have not changed from your cocky and annoying attitude,"she punched his arm, he could only laugh. She sighed, wiping her eyes a last time.
"Luce, I have been wanting to ask. I said I wouldn't bring this up, but I don't think I can wait one more day to hear it,"Natsu pressed his lips into a straight line giving her a serious, unwavering expression. He took in a deep breath,"After I came into your room 'that' night and you put me under your bed to hide me... Those men-"he stopped himself from speaking any further as her head lowered.
He glanced to the side,"I'm sorry I was not able to keep my promise about protecting you. I was such a naive brat!"he grabbed at his hair, feeling like he should tear it out and maybe it would be enough for her to forgive him. Lucy rose her hand to his, her soft touch upon his made him let go of his hair in an instant.
"Natsu, do not be so harsh to yourself. No one, not even you could have predicted any of what happened that night."
"But I should at least died trying to protect you in the least!"he growled angrily.
"And leave me all alone? I would have no one to have hope for, or give me strength just by the thought of them being alive."
Natsu sighed, looking down at her. He felt a small smile grow upon his lips,"Did you learn how to cook or clean yet?"
Lucy immediately blushed then punched his arm,"D-Don't tell anyone that!"