16 ∘ Jacob (BPOV)

When I got to Jacob’s property, I tried to pick up his scent. I heard growling before I caught it, and whirled to the sound.

Three huge wolves came out of the trees. I got the wind knocked out of me. Did no one care to mention how huge they were?! I was expecting cute little dog-sized wolves. I bolted, and they went after me.

They were almost as fast as me, too. I’m pretty sure the only reason I was ahead was because I’m a Newborn.

I got run back into a rock wall, and they closed in on me. One was a light brown color, one was a gray and black color, and the other was a dark gray and white color.

They were about to pounce until they heard two more join them. One was russet brown, and the other was pitch black. They were a lot bigger than the other three. The black one growled at them, then they whimpered and backed away from me. They all disappeared for a few minutes, and I tried to catch my breath. I heard footsteps coming toward me, and got ready to attack.

Until I saw who it was. I ran toward Jacob and engulfed him in a hug.

“Was that you?!” I pulled away and smacked his chest. “You scared the hell out of me!” My coldness or my strength didn’t seem to bother him at all.

He laughed. “Those three were Paul, Embry and Quil. I was the dark brown one, and the black one with me was Sam.” Just then, the other four came from behind the trees. They were all dressed in nothing but jean shorts cut at their knees. The three looked scared but confident. Sam was in front of them, angry. I’m guessing since Sam was the Alpha, he yelled at them and they got in trouble? This was too complicated. Weird and complicated.

“Hello, Bella. I apologize for the children’s behavior. They were taken aback by your red eyes. What brings you here?” Sam asked me.

“I actually wanted to talk to you and Jacob about something. I thought it best to come alone, but maybe I should have brought someone with me...” I paused to look at the ones named Paul, Embry and Quil.

“‘Bout what?” Jacob was curious.

“Apparently there’s someone gearing up for war, and the Cullens and I wanted to know if you’d be willing to help,” I said slowly, waiting for their reactions.

“War?” Sam tilted his head. Like a dog. I was laughing so much inside.

“An army of vampires. There’s someone named Victoria who wants revenge for her... ‘mate.’ He tortured and turned me, so the Cullens killed him. She blames me, so she’s going after us. There’s probably too many for us to win.”

The three shifters behind Sam looked excited.

“It’s about time we can kill some bloodsuckers! We should—” Sam cut one of them off with one swift look. I didn’t know who was who.

“It would be beneficial to everyone, Sam,” Jake told him. “If they come here, the whole town is in danger.”

He nodded. “We’ll come for a visit once I decide.” He turned and the other three walked away with him.

“The odds are good. Sam won’t turn down a chance to kill. Especially when it risks everyone in town.”

“Hope so. I wouldn’t want that either.”

“Have you been down to see Charlie yet?”

I stared at him. “No. I can’t see him, Jacob. Not like this.”

“So what, you’re just never gonna see him again?”

“Probably not. I miss him so much. But it’s too dangerous. I can’t risk hurting him.”

“You would never hurt Charlie. What makes you think that?”

“Newborns have no control when it comes to humans. I can’t risk his safety. Maybe in a few years when I get myself under control, I can see him. But no matter what, he can’t be in my life anymore.”

He frowned, and hugged me. I wrapped my arms around him.

It lasted too long. I started to let go, and he sighed. “I’ll see you, Bells.”

“See you, Jake.”

I ran back to the house, and went inside. Edward came down to see me. He was about to hug me, but stopped and backed away.

“What?”

“You smell terrible. How many were you around?” He held his breath.

“Five.”

Five?! Take a shower, Bella.” Alice groaned.

I chuckled, but did as I was told. I walked upstairs at a normal pace, and started the water. I put it at the hottest temperature, and got in as soon as I felt the steam. It felt nice to be under water that wasn’t full of salt. I didn’t know how long I stood under it. Maybe an hour or two.

I heard footsteps, then heard the door squeak open. I pulled back the shower curtains a little, enough to see Edward come in.

I chuckled once. “Hey.”

“Hi.”

“Is it any better?” Hopefully the dog smell was gone. I slid the curtain back to where it was.

“Much.” He laughed the musical laugh I loved so much.

“Good." I shut the water off. I opened the curtains in one swift motion, and held out one hand while wringing my hair out with the other. He tried to keep his eyes off me.

"Could you hand me that towel, please?"

He slowly reached for it, not looking at it. He was distracted. By me. My hair was drenched and smoothed. I flung the heavy locks over my shoulder after I wrung them out.

"Thank you," I said, taking the towel from his outstretched hand.

"Mhm."

I stepped out, pulling the curtains back in place behind me. I turned back to him, and suddenly his lips were on mine.

"You smell... amazing," he told me. I thanked him before he walked out, his tight fists firmly at his side.

I chuckled. We’re immortal. We’re bound to have that conversation eventually.