11 ∘ Reassurance (BPOV)

“This is our room.” Edward was showing me around the house. The whole house was amazing, but I loved our room the best. The walls were white with a stripe pattern in the middle. The dresser and desk were white. There was a plain white rug in the middle of the room, tying everything together. The bed had sheets that were a light blue, and it had a white mosquito netting canopy around it. The whole thing was just gorgeous. But why would we need a bed? Vampires don’t sleep.

“We have a great view of the ocean! There’s a huge collection of movies in the parlor, and a chess set in the great room. You can get settled. I’m gonna ask Alice to play a game or two with me.” He walked out.

I heard a cell phone ring, and wondered where it was coming from. I also wondered how the hell there was cell phone reception here. How much money did Carlisle have to pay for that? I saw the phone light from a pocket in Edward’s bag. I took it out. It was my burner phone, that I had while hiding out from James. I forgot Edward gave me one. That wasn’t the thing I was most shocked about. It was the caller I.D.

Jacob Black.

I remember getting his number from Billy when I was looking for Jake one day. I answered immediately.

“Jacob?”

“Bella?! Is that really you?” His voice was an octave higher than it usually was. He sounded distressed. I’m sure hearing the voice of a dead girl didn’t help.

“It’s me. How did you get my phone number?”

“It was in Charlie’s phone. He lost it and asked for my help looking for it. Your contact was up on his screen, and I wanted to see if you’d answer. I knew you weren’t dead! Where are you? When are you coming home?” He took a deep breath, realizing how much he was talking.

“I can’t come home, Jake.”

“Why not, Bells? What happened to you?”

“It’s a long story. I’m just a bit preoccupied right now. I needed space. I can’t really talk either. You have my number now. Use it only for emergencies, and don’t tell anyone. I miss you, Jacob. Goodbye.” I hung up before he could reply. I dropped onto the floor, and started dry sobbing. It hurt not being able to actually cry.

I felt arms wrap around me. I leaned back into Edward’s embrace, and waited for it to end.

“Are you okay?”

I just shook my head. I went to lay down. I didn’t know what to do. I knew I couldn’t go the rest of my life without seeing my family again. I tried to think, but nothing came up.

Edward laid behind me, wrapping his left arm around me, and stroking my hair with his right hand. I sighed.

He started humming my song. I wished I could sleep. Instead, I turned around and cuddled up into him.

A few hours later, I figured a movie would keep me from overthinking. As we all sat together on the couches, I tried so hard to pay attention. I wanted to go back to Forks. I wanted to go back to my life, where all I had to worry about was school. Edward was surely one arguable thing to consider, but I missed my father. I missed Jacob. I missed Angela and Jessica. Hell, I even... kind of... missed Mike. Sorta.

When the house was sorted and cleaned, we went back to the mainland to hunt. Carlisle went searching for a hospital to eventually see to a job. Edward had a medical degree, too, so he went with him. I stayed with Alice and Emmett.

I didn’t know what to do. I was too young to go back to school, and I didn’t have any degrees. I was stuck.

It was morning again when we got back to the house, happy and full. Carlisle decided to go back to the hospital he found to apply in a few days. Edward didn’t think he should leave me so soon, so he changed his mind about that job. I felt bad, but until I got my control under wraps, I thought it was a good idea. We all did.

Alice came to me the next morning. “I need to take you shopping! You don’t have anything yet, and you can’t keep borrowing my clothes forever, Bella. Let’s go!”

I groaned and Edward smiled at me encouragingly. We ran to the docks and took a boat out so we wouldn’t be wet as we shopped. The rest of the day was a blur. I wasn’t really paying attention. Alice made all the fashion decisions. I didn’t like most of it, but I figured who knows better about clothes than Alice?

Maybe Rosalie, by half, but she wasn’t here. We weren’t nearly as close as me and Alice, though. We were gonna be stuck together for the rest of eternity, so why fight it? We’re sisters now, just like Alice and me. It was stupid.

We got home with bags and bags of clothes. Where was I gonna put all of it?

I’d let her deal with it.