I cut him off by stepping inside the lift. I didn't want to know how tall my brother had grown.

My mother glared at me before Mr. Rastogi cleared his throat. "Toh, aap sab wapis aa rahe ho ab?"

"Nahi ji, sirf Arvika." My mother gave out one of her clipped smiles, before stepping in. 

They nodded at each other before I pressed on the seventh floor's button, waiting for the annoying elevator music to end.

"You surely know how to stay the talk of the town," I said, looking at our blurred reflection on the metallic screen doors.

"The lift is shiny," she commented instead, resting her sunglasses over her head. "I hope you don't regret your decision. If you want to come back anytime, just call. I'll talk to Raman, it won't be a problem-"

"You wouldn't have to talk to him if it wasn't a problem," I cut her off. I'm never going back to Mumbai if she is going to live with the Oberoi's.

The lift came to slow halt on the designated floor, and the doors slid open. With another eye roll, I lugged my bags out and turned right into the corridor. With the exception of a few potted plants, nothing much had changed. I stopped at the second door, waiting for my mother to ring the bell.

I was really not nervous. Just a bit overwhelmed, may be? It had been seven years that I had not seen this place. Or anyone from the Deewan family, for that matter.

Footsteps followed boyish chuckles from the other side, before the door opened to reveal a tall, dark haired teenager, with the same dark black eyes as mine. No shocker, he was my brother.

The laughter stopped as he took in the scene before him.

"Arnav," my mother broke the silence before she hugged him. Arnav's eyes met mine, so I looked away. I could feel his friends watching us from the couch, confused and curious.

When she released him, he opened his mouth. "Wow, uhm... I didn't know you guys were coming today."

"Of course, Binoy is too busy to let everyone know," our mother replied.

He turned to me, but before he could greet me, I stepped in through the door. It was my house too, I didn't need his permission to come in.

Our old Ratan Kaka came rushing in through the kitchen. "Maanyata ji, namaste! Binoy ji ne parso kaha thha aap ane wali hai." 

"Namaste Kaka. Ye bags Arvika ke kamre me rakh dijiye," she smiled at him. "Binoy kab ayenge?" 

"Woh to shaam ko ayenge," he replied, taking my bags. "Aap baitthiye na, thak gaye honge. Mai abhi aapke liye kuch banata hoon."

I observed the big hall, slowly walking towards the intersection of the living room and the dining hall. The wall that was once decorated with pictures of our once-upon-a-happy-family, was now full of awards and recognitions and things that had replaced emotions. I couldn't care enough about who they belonged to.

"Arvika." Hearing the same voice that welcomed us at the door, I turned around with a raised eyebrow.

Arnav nodded towards the couches, slightly tilting his head to the right. Mother was talking to three of his friends.

I made my way towards the empty couch, and plopped down. Their gazes turned to me, and Arnav cleared his throat. "Guys, erm... this is my twin, Arvika."

Donning superhero pajamas and game consoles in hand, they nodded at me. Clearly, they weren't dressed for the occasion. Three awkward faces murmured out a greeting, and I responded with a tight smile. They were probably gaming all night long. I doubt any friend of Arnav's would show up at our house dressed in boxers at eight in the morning. Mr. Perfect dare not have non-perfect friends.