fifty-nine

||CHAPTER 59||
《¤》

"Karan bhaiya!" The sixth graders giggled when Karan came up, just for goofing around like he was doing for the past few days. He was missing when the twelfthies had grabbed us for getting duties assigned a week ago, and now all he had to do was nothing but annoy the ones who actually had nothing to do either, but called it work.

"Hellow girls," he winked at them, making them giggle even more. I never understood the concept of young girls crushing on seniors, which was clearly the scenario here. "Ready to dance?"

"Dekho na bhaiya," one of the clones pointed towards the auditorium where the seventh scene was restarting. "Kab se Principal mam unko woh scene repeat kara rahi hai."

"Ek ghante se!" The one beside her exaggerated.

Ishita and I shared a bored look and yawned. I always hated middle-schoolers, and I was time and again reminded of the reason why.

"Fir tho tum log maze karo," he sat with them. "Kyooki aaj Dongra Ma'am bohot bure mood me hai, aur sabke dance change kar rahi hai."

"Oh no!" They wailed. Why were preteens so over-dramatic?

"Ham tab taq ek game khele? Please?" The shortie of the group asked.

Now was the time Karan usually got awkward. The girls suggested games which usually were super girly.

"What is happening over there?" Avni asked her cheek smeared in paint. She was in one of the groups that was making things for the exhibition.

"You should be reevaluating your crush on Bahl," Ishita explained. "Now he will play some stupid clapping game with those girls."

Entertained by her frown, I tried to calm her down. "Chill, he looks pretty awkward to me."

"He better be. Kal se dekh rahi hoo ye sab meri sautan banne me lagi hai yaar. School ke bahar tho mile ek baar!"

Ishita and I shared knowing smirks, making Avni glare at us. "What?"

"Why don't you just go and tell him that you're into him?"

I supported Ishita by shrugging. "I don't think tagging him in cat memes served the exact purpose."

Biting her lips, she folded her hands. "The whole Girl makes the first move is cool and all, but I know there are many like me who like him. I mean, look at him! He's so cute, and is playing with those kids."

I'm pretty sure that not even a minute ago was she declaring a war on them. Someone was clearly confused about her priorities.

"You wouldn't know unless you try, right?" I raised my eyebrow. Behind the door, the seventh scene was being repeated again.

"And ham kaunsa tumhe usko propose karne bol rahe hai?" Ishita added. "Just go talk to him. Make yourself a familiar figure. Make him spill his secrets to you. Whatever you do, you know."

"'Know what?" Avni pursed her lips. "You're damn right. I'll tag him in a thousand grumpy cats if need be, but by the end of twelfth, I will make him notice me."