twelve

||CHAPTER 12||
《¤》

Avantika Deewan was the elegance insignia. Her beauty was not something everyone had an eye to appreciate, but I was born with the lineage. Even at the age of sixty eight, she had not only a hold on her skin, but also on her personality.

She didn't know I was watching her until her kohl-rimmed eyes landed on my reflection in the mirror.

"Kya hua? Ready nahi hona?"

I jiggled my pair of ear rings infront of her, walking across the room. "Ye mere ear hole mein fit nahi ho rahe."

She ushered me inside, and I stood beside her. Applying some petroleum jelly between her thumb and index finger, she rubbed it on my ear cartilage, "Desi tareeke hamesha kaam kartein hain."

And indeed, the ear rings did slide in effortlessly.

She turned to her vanity table, picking out a lipstick, and caught me biting my smile from the mirror.

"Hasna hai to besharmon ke tarah haso, ye chhupkar hasna kya dikhata hai?"

"I'm not laughing!"

She raised her eyebrow at me.

"Fine!" I succumbed, "Aapko itna sajte sawarte kabhi dekha nahi hai."

She smiled at me, narrowing her eyes, "Daadiya make-up shake-up nahi kar sakti kya?"

I laughed and stood beside her, imitating her with a different shade. She watched me, her eyes twinkling.

"Vika?"

"Haan Daadi?"

"Tu jo bhi kare, bina sochey nahi, magar bina dare zaroor karna. If you're not afraid about your choices, dare not be afraid of their execution and consequences."

Nude lips and dark eyes stared back at me. I didn't know where all of that came from, but I had a feeling I would be needing that advice.

Turning back to Daadi, I nodded at her. She pushed a strand of my hair behind my ear and smiled.

She was indeed the elegance insignia on earth.

This place made me feel a bit out of place. I couldn't point out what made me feel that way, but the feeling was strong.

The invites-only ceremony that had been held at the Deewan Art Gallery for its inauguration was going in quite well, in the diplomatic sense.

Its not like every living being here actually understood what each piece of art meant. Words were appreciation, but true appreciation rarely required words.