Part 1

Sometimes in life you have that one moment, that one memory, that never quite leaves you. It always finds it's way back into your heart and mind igniting the same feeling into you all over again. This relatively short (but true) story is that moment for me, the Summer that made me feel alive and where I found a love for someone I wish I still had. The Summer of all Summers that I still wish, to this day even, I could go back to. 

Yours Truly,

Sarah

-

You know you don't have to go.

I rolled my eyes as my conscious continued that mantra in my head. I don't know how but I let my friend Paula reel me into another one of her adventures.

Why couldn't you guys just go roller skating like you usually do huh?

"Okay, enough is enough. Live a little Sarah. Besides if you end up not having fun, just tell them you don't feel good and go home. Plan?"

As I pulled up to the apartment's gated entrance I was pleasantly surprised at how nice they were and close to my.

Good, easy escape.

Paula had forwarded me the code and as I promptly entered it the gates swung open. After finding a parking spot I started walking to find their exact place. I waited patiently as my phone dialed through to Paula's.

"Hey bitch,  you here?!"

I couldn't help but let out a quaint smile.

"Yes hoe, come get me so I don't get lost."

"Alright be down in a second!"

I continued to walk and soon enough I saw her standing by the corner. I waved to her and once she saw me, she headed my way. As soon as we were close enough, we pulled into each other's embrace. I saw a dude had followed her down.

"Sarah, this is Woody."

I waved to him and took his outreached hand.

"Nice to meet the guy she hasn't shut up about."

She rolled her eyes and he gave her a look of surprise.

"Nice to meet you too. C'mon in there's some of the guys that just got off work, Brandon hasn't gotten off quite yet."

I followed them around the corner to reveal their three storied apartment. I looked up in awe. I could see the second story balcony sliding door was open and music was pouring out into the small courtyard where we stood. As we all entered through the front door is was obvious no girls resided there. They had all their shoes at the base of the stairs, along with all kinds of skate boards, long and short. I followed the couple up the stairs to reveal a pretty empty dining/living area. There weren't too many guys, but they were setting up beer pong on the granite island or prepping the large clear bong. I gulped, parties weren't, let's be honest, my scene. I may have been that loud proud girl outside in the open, but in confined spaces I got some of the most mentally crippling social anxiety known to man. I stood a little behind them honestly hoping to just hide in the background and not have to be confronted with any conversation. I was an eighteen year old, fresh out of high school with my best friend who was nearing twenty two, surrounded by guys twenty one and older. As well I was never the girl to be caught up in this scene with alcohol and weed, I was too nervous and both of my parents were strict creating this unnerving sense that I would have my ass beat if I did get caught up in this crowd. 

Sarah you don't belong here.

"SHHHH!!" I hissed back mentally at my conscious.

"Momma didn't raise a quiter!"