Chapter 13 : A Sordid Character

"Come in." Zofia called as she sat down on the bed. She had almost thought that it was Draegon, despite there being no chance of him getting out of the bed on his own. She wondered if he would come after her, or if he knew how much she was hurt at his words. They were married for their third day and he was already kicking her out of his bed. 

It was Niklaus at the door. 

He walked in, looking cleaner than he had before. He sat on the bed next to Zofia and stared down at her. She was trying to avoid eye contact. How can she tell another man that her man was being a pain in her nether regions? She kicked her feet against the floor and tried to think of something to say. 

"They are all right, when they say that he is not pleasant." She told him. "I know him now and he's as stubborn as a mule, and so inconsiderate to my feelings. Not to mention the women." She voiced her upset at him, frowning and crossing her arms. "They think I'm a witch, Niklaus."

"You don't have to be stuck here, just because he's the king." Nik told her. He moved his hand into her lap, just to rest on her knee. 

"I think he will kill me if I try to leave." She admitted to him, her eyes falling to the hand he had on her. 

"Not if he doesn't find you." He said softly, as if someone could hear them. "What nerve he has to think you're a witch. I've known you all my life." he added in a hiss. 

"It's too dangerous. Besides, I won't be able to slip Garison again. And you are being very forward. How can you think it's alright to climb on to a married woman's bed." She playfully questioned him. He was still her best friend. She earned a smile from him, but Zofia was feeling like she had forgotten how to smile. The two dragons were taking her happiness from her and it left an ache in her heart. 

"Have you thought about me taking you away?" he asked her as he took her hands in his and kissed her knuckles. 

"I told you, Nik, I don't think it's a good idea. I have to do my duty by my husband." She averted her eyes. His flirts were making her shy, and she found herself wishing that Draegon gave her this kind of attention. 

"What duty does he do by you? Does he entertain you like your books do? Does he know your favorite color or your deepest secrets and desires?" He prodded, raising his brows. "I do. Don't I?" he squeezed her hands. 

"You do Nik, but I thought you were going to ask me. Not him." She glanced at the wall, as if Draegon was standing right there. 

"I was waiting till your birthday." he told her, frowning and leaning in." He gave a sigh and shook his head. Zofia wanted to tear up. If only that stupid virgin mate scent of hers had stayed hidden till after her birthday. She would have been with Nik instead of the man who didn't even want to share his bed with her. 

"I will think about it. I will tell you tomorrow, when you come back to make sure that no one here had died in their sleep." She said the last part bitterly, as if she was hoping for them to just leave her alone or back of, perhaps for something bad to happen for putting her through so much. 

Zofia sat at the foot of Draegon's bed when he woke up. She wished that the thinking hadn't kept her up the whole night, and she really wished that it was easier to decide to stay with Draegon, but he was making it hard for her, hard for her to breathe or even find the will to live with him for the rest of her life. 

She felt him moving, then sitting up. He rubbed his eyes and looked at Zofia. He stared at her and the black dress she wore, how it clung to her and showed her light hair off. 

"Did you sleep in here?" He asked. She looked over her shoulder at him. 

"No, I respected your wishes to be separate." She answered plainly. 

The Dragon King's Brideजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें