Chapter 11

Julian

Today I'd took off to take Kandice to one of her doctor's appointments. I didn't mind. I looked over at her sleep on the passengers side. I smiled and continued to pay attention to the road. Emmy was in school, and my mama was watching Kameron. She's been a good help.

"Kandice. We're here." I shook her and she sat up and unbuckled her seatbelt. I got out the car and opened her door for her. "Thanks." I shook my head and helped her up. We walked in the building and waited for bout 15 minutes till Kandice's name was called.

"How are y'all?" The nurse asked us with a clipboard in her hand. We followed her behind the door and went to the end of the hall after making a left. The nurse check Kandi's weight and blood pressure. "Here you two go. Your doctor should be here in a minute." She said before leaving out the door. I helped Kandice up on the exam table.

"Hi Ms.Kandice." A brown skinned lady with curls said coming in with her chart and a white suit on. "Hey. Dr. Harris." She smiled before lying back on the table. Dr. Harris spoke to me and shook my hand and I just leaned back in the chair right across from them.

"So Kandice how've you been feeling?" She put her gloves on and grabbed the gel for the ultrasound then pulled Kandice's shirt up. She was defiantly showing now. I watched them hold conversation and Dr. Harris squeeze gel on her stomach. Kandice laughed because it was cold.

"Ok..lets see." She placed the remote on her stomach and all of us looked over at the screen. You could see the head and his or her foot which was in the mouth. I smirked alittle. Kandice has been really happy lately about this pregnancy. She's hoping it's a girl. "Well we can find out it's sex today...if you want." Kandice said yes and the doctor took a picture from the ultrasound and wiped the gel off Kandice's stomach.

"Oh I can feel her." Kandice smiled alittle. She held her hand out for me. I got up and took it and she put my hand on her stomach. I could feel the baby kick at where the position of my hand was. I smiled and looked at Kandice. Damn,I'm bout to be a godfather. Dr. Harris had stood infront of her computer monitor for a couple minutes before she printed out the picture.

"Congratulations Ms. Brown." she smiled before saying, "Your having a baby-boy." She handed me the picture and I held it to Kandice. She looked disappointed. You could easily see in her eyes but she put on a smile.

**

"Kandi you not saying much.." I said with my hand on the sterling wheel. We were back in the car and I was on the way to pick up Emmy from school. I wish I knew what she was thinking, I just kept my eyes back on the road. Today sorta reminded me of when Maya was pregnant with Emmy. I was really praying for a boy. A little version of me. I would be there for him and be a better father then my dad was.

-----

"You act like you don't even want a girl." Maya yelled with tears running down her face. I held her tight saying,"No baby. I don't care." I moved the hair out her face. "We can just have another one." I kissed her.

"I love you Julian." Maya said looking up at me with those brown eyes. I loved her too and I would give the world to her if I could.

-----

I thought about my first time holding Emmy. I helped deliver her.She was so small. She didn't even cry once she laid in my arms. I knew that I would spoil her. I remember Maya's reaction of Emmy's first word. Her saying mama and Maya holding her up,kissin' her cheeks. I miss her.

I thought about that day, three years ago..

--

"Baby I gotta go." she turned my head and kissed me. She was leaving for work while I stayed home to watch Emmy. It was Saturday and she was working ova time. She had her degree so she was working while I was still in school taking online classes. Maya worked as her boss's assistant at the moment. "Mommy do you have to go?..It's Saturday." Emmy said rubbing her eyes she'd just finished her breakfast and was getting sleepy. I watched Maya pick up Emmy.