The handler

CHAPTER 5.

Back at the agency, mum had left for work. Mr Tolu came in with agent Ogbuefi.

"Mr Ogochukwu, I'm sure you've meet agent Ogbuefi, he's going to be your handler" gesturing to the agent, "he'll be in charge of you, you'll report to him, any complaints or questions, you have your guy. So have fun" he added leaving the room.

"I'm Agent Ogbuefi as earlier said and you'll do exactly as I say if you want to survive your stay here" Agent Ogbuefi said in a stern tone. Then burst into laughter. You know, I was already scared good until he laughed. "So kid, you got any questions, I'm here" he added pulling the chair to sit. I was kinda relieved that at least more than two people here weren't killerbots. I leaned forward from the bed which I sat in and proceeded with my questions.

"When am I going to school again?"

"Why do you want to go back" he replied. Yeish, Nigerians always answering questions with questions. I'm the one asking, he must give me an answer first. I continued.
"You mean I don't have to return to school?"

"If you want, that is." He replied shrugging.

"I have to return, I've already spent twelve years, I'm in my final secondary year, it has to end well." I said nodding.

"OK, no p., that all?" He asked getting up from the chair. It was time for the serious questions, I had to know a lot of things at this point.

"Do you guys always have. Like steady light here? because in my side, NEPA is using us to do teaching practice." I said

"Yes, yes we do. The whole structure is on an experimental power source." He said wanting to leave.

"Wait! Mr. Agent" I called at him, "What happened when I was put in the machine? I thought I was going to be electrocuted but instead passed out and woke up in a strange place"

"Tell me what you saw?" He asked rushing back. The question with question thing again.

"I saw a couple... Man, just answer me first" I shot.

"You were electrocuted" he said hurriedly "you saw a couple?" He continued.

"Oga mi, finish and I'll finish. Im the questionare and you're the unfortunate student, and give me details please" I calmly said.

"OK" he said, getting back into the chair. "When we put the water to make sure of a complete process..."

"The water broke?" I interrupted laughing. "Get it? Water. Broke" I laughed more but he wasn't laughing so I gently faded the laughter away "sorry, continue" I said most politely.

"We turned on the machine and steadily increased the voltage, at 20%, you were beginning to convulse, very violently. Your mum ordered the machine to be pulled out, but as you know, that's not her call" he said with a grin, "we continued til 56% or so and the convulsions slowed down, some classified chemicals were added to the water..."

"Do you mean classified?" I interupted.

"That's above your pay grade" he said cocking his head.

"You don't even pay me!" I shrugged confused.

"That's not the point!" He said clenching his fists, "at 83%, the room was filled with an iridescent aura a jolt of energy left the casket through the electron stabilizers up and out of the facility. Probably what triggered the wormhole. I can't say for sure." He stopped and stared at the ceiling while squinting his eyes as if to remember something.

"What happened at 100%?" I asked popping his thought bubble.

"Yeah, you flatlined at 97% and we would have pulled out the machine but you started convulsing again..."

"Without a heartbeat?!" I interrupted excited. "Now, this will be a good story to tell"

"No, no. This is top secret. No soul should know" he snapped, I grabbed my lips. Tip top.

"No heartbeat, continue" I said.

"Yeah, and then you stopped moving and the machine was pulled out. After a few minutes, a heartbeat came up on the ECG. That was when we opened the casket and you came out."

"How can someone survive that?" I asked rather seriously curious.

"You're not a regular person, you were..." Just then a voice came in from a speaker.

"That's enough, Agent, you're dismissed." Ogbuefi stood up and left. "Mr Ogochukwu, i guess you know your way out." I nodded like he was there. I began to pack my bag. Took the fanta from the fridge and some snickers. I picked up the laptop.

"Drop it" the voice came back and I shrieked and started looking round like, 'where the cameras at?'.
Plugged in my earphones and left the room. Nearly at the hanger, I saw DUA soldiers running in. I was kinda scared and asked one what happened, all he could say was, "the President is calling, there's something serious going down. Get home kid!"
What could be so serious that the President had to call? Well, the less I know, the better I sleep. I got in the taxi and we zoomed off.