Chapter 21 - Plot Twist They Kiss OMG Gasp

CHAPTER 21

"There's a poetry competition downtown next week. I was thinking of going, maybe even competing. Have you heard of slams downtown?"

Little did he know, I had spent one Thursday of every month there since the beginning of junior year.

"No, I've never been," I lied.

"I'll take you sometime!" He seemed so excited about knowing more about the local events than I did, so I let him have his moment. He was cute in that moment. He was less scary, less Patrick Verona, less brooding bad boy, less mysterious stranger... More 'boy you could fall for'. That scared and ignited me at the same time.

"So why did you come today? Here?"

I knew the real reason was because I needed to distract myself from him, and he had instead distracted me from my distraction.

"I just needed a good time. Get my mind off some stress."

"What are you stressed about?" he asked.

You. "It wouldn't be 'getting my mind off of it' if I start talking about it, now would it?"

"No, I guess not," he laughed.

We continued to walk down the street in a comfortable silence, until we reached the river.

"This place is beautiful. There are no cities like this where I lived in Spain."

I looked out upon the Detroit skyline. I wanted to be optimistic. I wanted to say yes, it was beautiful. "It's not even our city. Not even our countries city." I felt too sad.

"Virvanna."

The way he said my name... "Yes?"

"What's wrong? You're not catching onto my blind jokes."

"What?"

"I'm blind, and I was just complimenting how beautiful the city is. Usually you'd have laughed by now, but you went along with it. It's like you didn't even remember it was me you were with." He leaned against the railing and chuckled at me.

"Don't laugh at me! I'm just not feeling like myself today." I took up a spot next to him, letting my head fall back to look at the sky. The cold February air tingled and pricked at my hands and neck.

"I miss you," he began. "I miss happy Virvanna, with the sarcasm and careless laugh. And the hair flipping in my face all the time, I miss the sting of being whipped in the face. And, I like Virvanna. How to I get her back?"

He liked Virvanna. He liked me. I was Virvanna. And I didn't know how far the like would go. Maybe it was lost in translation. Maybe he meant it literally, or maybe it meant more. But no matter what he meant by it, there was nothing that would justify the words I said next.

"You want Virvanna back?" I smirked.

"Yes!" he said as he turned to me.

"Then kiss her," I said, stepping in closer to him, closer and closer, until our bodies were only centimetres apart. "And mean it."

He quickly and swiftly brought one of his arms behind my back and pulled me into him completely. Then, purposefully, he slowly brought his face down to mine, and waited. He waited until I kissed him. And I did.

And his lips were soft like the first time. And he made my lips tingle like the first time. And unlike Darren, I was anticipating and waiting and planning for it, unlike the first time. And like Darren, it all scared me, all over again.

And unlike himself the first time, he didn't stop.

And we kissed, and kissed. And he'd bite at my lips, and I'd moan, and he'd smile and pull me closer, and he kept it real and raw, and it never escalated, and it just was... And I had chills. And I felt frozen in place in the best way possible. And in you, my Diary, I can say 'and' as many times as I want because no one is going to read this. Just me whenever I want to relive the most perfect moment I could ask for.