02

"Go back to America, loser," a loud voice sneers from behind them.

It's obnoxious and uncalled for and not the first time anyone has ever addressed either of them that rudely, but it still takes both ten-year-olds by surprise. Words like these are something they've never quite gotten used to.

(Bullying, Jaebum thinks, is stupid – not because of the effects it has on society, but because of the effects that it has on Mark.)

Jaebum grabs Mark's wrist when the older boy's steps falter ever so slightly. He tugs gently, making him walk faster away from the jeering laughter and frowning at the expression on his best friend's face.

"Don't listen to him," Jaebum says quietly. "He's just being dumb."

"I know," Mark tells him, although he's fidgeting nervously and his eyes are downcast – both of which Jaebum have learned are sure signs that he's upset. "It's okay."

Two years isn't that long of a time to have been best friends, but they've crammed so much into the time they've spent together that they could have known each other for forever and there wouldn't have been a difference. Jaebum knows Mark like the back of his hand, and Mark would be a fool to think otherwise.

It's almost funny how he still tries to lie about it.

Jaebum sighs and tries again. "Mark – "

"No, really," Mark insists, sending him a cheery smile that he can immediately see through. "I don't mind."

Jaebum knows he's lying, but he says, "Okay," anyway.