Cheating The Deck {28}

Start from the beginning

                "I never thought I'd voluntarily hand you a knife," he said as he watched me the spread the butter.

                "Don't be a pussy," I said, holding it out to him. "I'm not a sociopath."

                "That's debatable," he said, taking the knife from me. "It's not a risk I'm willing to take when it comes to you."

                "So, is Delaney going to hide from the apartment every time I come over?" I asked, taking a bite of my bagel.

                Jack shrugged. "Probably not. He'll get over it. I'll actually tell him I'm tonguing you this time."

                "Tonguing me? And here I recall the word 'boyfriend' being used last night."

                "I was delirious."

                "So you take it back?"

                "Nah. Just don't expect me to be a sappy boyfriend."

                "I'd break up with you if you were."

                We finished eating and I stood up. Jack followed me up to his room and I tugged my shirt on, lazily buttoning it up.

                "Leaving?" he said.

                "I have some things to take care of at home," I said.

                He shook his head but led me back downstairs. I opened the door and Jack reached out, grabbing my arm.

                "That's the first time I've heard you call it home," he said.

                I shrugged him off and shut the door. I got on my bike and made my way towards the house, wishing I was wearing more comfortable clothing. But I worked so often that it was easy to ignore the tight wrinkles of my slacks as I biked.

                The house came into view and I ditched my bike in the garage, heading inside. Before I even got the chance to shut the door behind me, Jer had grabbed my shirt and thrown me against the wall.

                "You have a damn phone!" he snapped.

                "Yes, I do," I agreed.

                "Christ, I can't wait for the fucking day we get the call about your strangled body being found under a motel bed. You piss me off," he said, releasing me.

                "Next time you plan to ditch us to go get drunk and laid, at least leave a text," Ike said, coming down the stairs with Christian.

                "I was not out getting drunk and laid. My pants stayed on last night," I said.

                "You have a hickey," Christian said.

                "But alcohol and genitals were not involved," I said. "Lighten up, Christian. Maybe you need to get laid."

                "Not interested," he said, pushing past us and moving towards the kitchen.

                I grabbed Ike's arm before he could follow after Christian. "Joshie," I said. "You gave up Joshie to give him a better life. You separated your family to help him."

                Ike just watched me, knowing that I was well aware of the answer to my own question. Ike had sacrificed his chance at a better life to give Joshie the best life he could.