Chapter Thirty Seven

Magsimula sa umpisa

"How did you find me?" I ask softly, turning my gaze down to my fingers knotted together in front of me. There's no use arguing with him right now. I just want to know how he has come to stand in this clearly I thought I could trust.

"You're my mate," he comments, "did you really think I wouldn't find you? No matter where you are in this Pack Quarter, I was always find you."

I exhale slowly, unable to comprehend any words that would suffice in this situation.

He turns and disappears into the depths of the forest, and for a moment, I assume he is just going to leave and never come back. Of course, that is a foolish notion to suggest, as he wander back into the clearly, this time wearing pants. I'm relieved he brought some with him on his travels.

"I know why you ran from me."

I roll my eyes.

"If I were you, I would to," he continues, "however, I had to find you, for the betterment of everyone in this situation. At least let me explain to you what has happened before you assume the worst," Asher says gently, taking slow steps toward me. Clearly he's worried about my reaction; about it being too late to change my mind on this.

My arms fold over my chest as he walks even closer, to the point he is right beside me, sitting down on the grass next to me. He keeps enough distance for me to not be mortified. Good.

"You are going to kill Aspen with a horrific excuse. I don't know what you could say that would change that," I mutter, looking off toward the Moon.

Where Aspen's soul will go when Sinful crushes it.

"There is more to it," he breathes. "I was having him brought back and sent somewhere safe, where Fate would never find him."

My eyes narrow. "Where would that be?"

"The mortal lands, to the Harmony Pack. Alpha Noah has kept a spell on it to keep all immortals out, so Fate can't get in. Neither can Sinful. None of them can get rid of the spell as they can't get to Noah, who resides deep in the middle of the magic," Asher explains, winding grass around his fingers to pick at it.

I haven't heard much about the Harmony Pack as whoever goes in, never wants to go out. People speculate why people like the place so much.

I guess the answer is magic.

"So you're killing him to scare Fate off," I say, speaking my thoughts aloud. "Does Fate know Aspen isn't your real brother?"

"No, he isn't aware. That was the point. This entire plan has just been a distraction for everyone involved. If anyone even thought about this plan, then it would be ruined," Asher explains, letting the grass from his hand flutter back down to earth again.

"All to get Fate to stop harnessing Sinful?" I question into the air, wishing I was up there on the Moon myself. "Why are you so obsessed with Sinful?"

Asher scoffs. "I wouldn't call it an obsession. Sinful isn't a good guy, of course, but I guess you could say that's what I like about him."

"Do you like the fact that he manipulated me into sleeping with him?"

A different kind of coldness settles over us. This is brittle and icy. I refuse to let my mind wander back to that night, where Sinful got into my head, and altered my thoughts beyond belief. As far as I'm aware, Asher didn't want it to happen, referring back to his expression when I first told him.