Chapter Fourteen: Can You Guys Just Go?

Start from the beginning

Raymond popped the apple cider open and started to pour in the drinks. Everyone ignored him as he did this, going back to their conversations with each other. Everyone except me. Raymond never does this. Willingly doing this for my mom, my mom? That's not the Raymond I know. He much rather have someone do everything for him than do things himself. He has me and probably a bunch of nerds and goons to do his homework and errands.

I watched as he poured each drink one by one. As soon as he finished with the eighth cup, he began serving them. He handed it to my parents, then his parents. He grabbed two cups in each and served it to himself, Jordan, Bennett, then me. We mumbled out our thanks from the questioning looks my mom gave us when we didn't at first. Raymond went back to get Declan's drink. I slightly looked down to pick up my cup of apple cider and looked back at him. At that moment, I saw his hand lingering over the cup. I blinked and his hand went over it in a swift movement, now picking up Declan's cup. My eyes narrowed at the cup as it was placed in front of Declan.

He then said to him, "Enjoy." After that, he went back to his seat without another word.

Declan grunted and lifted the cup to his lips. He hesitated for a moment and looked at Raymond. Raymond smiled once more and lifted his cup like a toast before drinking it. Declan paused for a moment before taking a sip. My eyes widened as the cup lifted to his lips.

I stood up abruptly from my chair, nearly knocking if off backwards. "Declan don't-"

But it was already too late. I watched as Declan drank the apple cider, the liquid vanishing from the cup. I sat back on my seat, confused and worried, not knowing what to do. I looked down at cup and suddenly wasn't in the mood for apple cider. Declan set his cup back on the table with a small clunk.

"Don't what, Naomi?" He asked me as he wiped his mouth with the back of his hand.

I knew I couldn't say anything right now. I couldn't confront Raymond suddenly in front of everyone. Raymond would obviously deny it, and I don't have any proof but a slight movement from Raymond and the evidence that Declan already drank. And if I just accused Raymond, my parents and his parents would be mad at me for accusing "innocent" Raymond. I glanced at Raymond who wore a thin smile, but his eyes sharpened at me.

"N-nothing," I said, looking down at my lap and pushing the cup away from me.

"Wow, that was refreshing," Raymond's dad said, patting his stomach.

"I'll say," Raymond himself said. "How about you Declan? You think it was good?"

Declan glared at Raymond before saying. "Yeah, it was pretty-" His stomach started to gurgle, interrupting him.

Raymond leaned forward a bit. "Pretty what?"

"It was pretty-" Declan's stomach gurgled, louder this time. My mom looked concerned at him.

"Is everything alright?"

"Yeah, everything's-"

Once again, his stomach gurgled as if some monster was roaring in it. Declan lurched forward and held to table to keep him steady. Declan clutched his stomach tightly, cringing for a second. Now Declan had everyone's attention.

"Is something wrong with your stomach?"

"Are you sick?"

"Was it something you ate?"

My mom's face instantly fell when someone asked that. Declan looked up and shook his head immediately, denying this.

"No, no, no, I didn't eat anything bad. Your cooking is delicious, Marisa."