12

**Dally's POV**

No one turns to look at first, but when they do, they look just as terrified as we probably do.

I stand in front of Bailey as she searches for the medicine, blocking the girls from having any contact with her. She runs to the kitchen, whispers a few things to Darry, and runs back into the bathroom. She returns shortly after, stuffing a white bottle into her pocket.

"Wait, Bailey, you can't leave yet," Soda says, standing from his seat. Bailey stops on her way to the door and turns back to everyone.

"Why not?" she says. Darry comes out of the kitchen.

"Look Bails, it's about Two-Bit," Darry says.

"I don't want to hear it."

"Trust me, you're gonna want to," Ponyboy says, standing too.

Soda grabs an envelope off the counter. The front reads Bailey Cade in Two-Bit's handwriting.

"I'm really sorry Bailey, he'll explain everything in here," he says and hands her the envelope. She looks at me with a look of mixed emotion. I nod to tell her to open it.

**Bailey's POV**

I didn't really know what to expect when I go to open the letter. I want nothing to do with him, but I still want to know where the father of my baby is.

I open the letter and pull out 2 neatly folded sheets of paper, filled front and back with writing that clearly isn't his. I laugh a little to myself and begin reading.

Bailey Michele Cade,

First of all, let's just get one thing out of the way - yes, this isn't my handwriting, I was shaking so bad I had Ponyboy write it for me. Either way, it's my words, so please don't get the wrong idea. 

I'd like to say I'm sorry, Bailey. I'm so sorry. I never meant for any of this to happen, especially not for you to leave. I've been worried sick for days about where you and that baby are. Darry promised me if he saw you before I did that he'd give you this, so I'm really sorry if I didn't get to give it to you myself.

That day you left, I'd had a really rough day at work. Business has been really low and they laid me off. I didn't want a kid to have a tough upbringing when money was always tight, and I also don't want you to have to go out and get a job when you're pregnant and all. But you have to know that I understand that I completely overreacted to what you said. I was so scared, Bails, you have no idea. Not being able to support you and a baby would just be terrifying. But you also have no idea how sorry I am.

I never wanted any of this. I never wanted you to run off. I was worried sick all week that something had happened to you and that god damn baby. I would have never been able to forgive myself if something happened to you. You're my everything, Bailey. You're the reason my life is starting to become something, and a baby shouldn't get in the way of that. I'm sorry it took me so long to realize all of this.

Anyway, the whole gang knows, so I guess you should hear this from me - a guy I know got me a job working forest fires up and down the west coast for a few months. I figured since it's a steady job and could bring in good money, I'd take it. If I didn't give this to you myself, it means I've already left. I just thought it'd be a good way to get you some money for a few months until I get back.

Again, I'm so sorry for the way I acted. I completely understand if you need time to think, but I left the address to where I am on the envelope in case you do want to write back. This is your decision, and if you don't want me in the baby's life as a co-parent deal, then I respect that, just please let me keep him/her a few nights every so often. I love you, I'll see you soon.

- Keith Matthews

P.S. He's not just saying all of this for the heck of it, he truly is shaking worse than anyone I've ever seen. At least give him a chance, I know he messed up bad and all, but no one deserves to grow up without a dad. - Ponyboy

I look up at the gang once I finish, and find them all anxiously waiting for my response.

"When does he get back?" I ask.

"He said between March and July, depending on how bad the fires get," Ponyboy says. I just nod and stand there because I truly have nothing to say about any of it.

"Hey Bails, you know you and the baby are always welcome here," Darry says sympathetically. I smile at him thankfully and nod again.

"We can go," I say to Dally. He waves to everyone and helps me out of the living room.

"Dallas?" I hear from behind me. I feel him stop dead in his tracks beside me.

**Dally's POV**

I turn and see Alex, her hands shoved inside her sweatshirt, covering her mouth in disbelief. My heart stops beating and I smile the biggest smile.

She breaks down crying and sinks to her knees. Overwhelmed with emotion, I run over and pull her to her feet so I can lift her off the ground in a hug. She cries into my shoulder as we hug the life out of each other.

"Hello, my love," I say softly. Alex responds by holding herself against me tighter.

"Please don't cry, it's going to make this so much harder," I plead, feeling tears begin to escape my eyes too.

"You're back?" she asks as if she doesn't believe it's me.

"Not yet, but almost, I promise."

She nods against my shoulder and continues to hug me tight.

"Are you okay? I was so worried you wouldn't be," I ask her.

"Yeah, I'm alright," she says. "You were the one who saved me?"

"Yes."

"Did that greaser die?" she asks quietly so only I can hear.

"Yes baby, no one touches my girl," I say to her. She pulls away slightly so I can see her face.

"I'm still your girl?" she asks with a smile.

"Always, my love-" I choke out before kissing her. I hear the gang clap faintly, but all I can focus on is this dream that I've had for months finally happening.

Eventually, I know I have to pull away.

"When will I see you again?" she asks me desperately. I shrug as I kiss her lips one last time. 

"I love you so much baby, I'll see you soon, I promise," I say, then quickly grabs Bailey's arm and pulls her out the door. I begin running as soon as I hear the door slam shut.