Ten

That night while everyone was busying themselves with preparations for meeting the prince, I crept down to the stables. A dagger strapped to my side, and my hand burdened with a sack full of coin and clothes. I had collected a long, billowing black cloak, with a very deep hood, and that was what had kept me hidden until a slim hand landed on my shoulder. I whirled on the person, a curse upon my lips as I spied Saffy and Shae standing beside each other. A deep scowl was etched on Shae's face.

It didn't suit her at all.

"Leaving at the first sign of trouble?" She wagged her finger at me.

"You know why I can't stay." I replied, stalking forward once more. No one was going to stop me. I had chosen my path, and I would walk it all the way to the end. Even if it meant doing it alone. Two sets of footsteps followed mine.

"Fine. Follow me to the stables all you like. That's as far as you'll both go. That's an order." I heard Shae's mouth open to protest.

"That is an utter load of horse shit, if ever I smelled it." Shae grabbed me. I turned to her again and watched as Saffy stepped back.

"You both think this?" I asked.

"You know that I do." Shae tapped her foot.

I looked between Shae and Saffy, and back again. Shae pulled herself up to her full height, and her demeanour told me she was not going to budge. I looked to Saffy again, and she nodded. I sighed and slipped inside the open door. I motioned for both to follow.

"I'm not talking about it out here."

They slipped inside with me and closed the door. I crept backwards and flipped down the wooden bar, effectively locking us inside. Then resumed walking. I counted the stalls in the wide space until I cam to one with a gilded awning. Script filled the plaque.

Starfall

I stared at the equine beauty inside. Sixteen hands high, a broad back and flank, long sleek legs and feathered fur near her hooves. Her coat was jet black and shiny. Her mane was trimmed short and her tail swished from side to side as she chomped on some leftover hay. I stared into her doleful brown eyes and patted her neck.

"You ready for a ride?" Starfall nickered at me and lifted her head up and down.

"Good girl." I stroked the side of her neck, and she gently nibbled my ear. I turned to the hooks with various riding gear and picked up Starfall's saddle and reins. I placed them on her, making sure she was secure. I turned to Shae as she looked at me.

"Nothing I say will change your mind, will it?"

I shook my head and mounted Starfall. I hugged Starfall's neck and she shifted from hoof to hoof. I had to be quick about this.

"I'll be back before the Prince gets here." I swallowed.

"Saffy, as long as you wear my clothes and Shae does your hair and you find a way of covering that scar, no one will notice anything is wrong. Just don't speak to anyone too much. If there is trouble, Shae will help. Shae, I suspect you know what to do?" I said.

Shae nodded.

"Is there a way of reaching you?"

"No. But I swear I will be back before my four days are up." I nudged the side of my boot into Starfall's side and she moved forward. Saffy stepped up to open the stall and Shae removed the wooden stave holding the stable doors closed. I stared at her hard.

"This is something I have to do." I said as Starfall started to trot out of the stables. The wind built around me and I gripped the reins steadily. I breathed in the night and looked down to Shae.

"Be safe," she patted Starfall's shoulder.

I nodded and nudged Starfall into a canter. We left the stables and the shadows of two of my closest friends behind. I sat up straight and lent into the wind pulling at my hood. I threw my head back briefly and let a chuckle escape my lips. I was finally free. If only for a few days, but I was free. I relished the darkness of the sky, the glimmer of stars and the tang of sea air in my lungs. We were farther in land, but still close enough to the port of Kasida; even though it was a good ride away from Ansmere.

We swept through the smaller back roads hugging the edge of the silent shore, and round to my brothers estate that way. It was technically its own principality as it sat between both Ansmere and Kasida. Since it belonged to no man but Arlen, he had to run his lands himself. He was also a solider in the army, and as such; he was away quite often, leaving his lands in a constant state of wavering ownership. As his sister; he often gave me his keys. I grinned to myself. Today was a lucky day. I would be paying his estate a visit. The staff at Evergrove would probably be pleased to see someone, or at least that was what I had furiously hoped when I had left. I pushed Starfall on a bit more. I wanted to reach Evergrove before Twilight.

I reached a fork in the road and turned Starfall to the smaller, rougher path that I knew lead straight to the gatehouse, or at least to the groundskeeper's cottage on the outskirts of Arlen's ten acres of roughly farmed land. I patted her neck, lightly drenched in sweat and whispered into her ears.

"We're nearly there girl." I patted her again. She nickered and shot forward, nearly dislodging me from my seat.

"Steady on...." I chuckled.

Starfall slowed, but carried on. We reached the gate to the estate in good time, as ominous rain clouds gathered over our heads. I reached into my pocket and withdrew the key for the gate. I nudged my horse forward and lent down to the lock in the side of the pillars by the gate. I inserted the key and the gates clicked open on some hidden pulley system. We moved forward slowly up the driveway. The huge mansion loomed in the distance. Tall birch trees lined the driveway with their silvery trunks.

The mansion itself was made of pale stone, and had a myriad of arched windows with stone lintels and leaded glass. The roof was covered in an army of slate tiles and had several significantly sized chimneys. Sprawling grass gardens lead to an open porch, stairs and white marble columns. The building itself was long, wide and had at least three floors of spacious rooms. All of the windows were void of firelight. A smaller, more modest cottage sat off to one side on a separate path. Tall stone towers flanked the short driveway before we even reached that cottage. I stopped my horse in the middle of the towers and whistled as loudly as I could. I sat atop of Starfall and waited for the stewards or at least a skeleton patrol of guards. I waited. I whistled again. Still, no one came.

I glanced at the cottage to the side, and firelight bloomed in the only glass window. I breathed a sigh of relief. At least the groundskeeper was home. The door opened and out limped a tall, ragged man. His hair was greying and tied back into a long ponytail at the nape of his neck. His shoulders were broad and honed from years of manual labour. I nudged Starfall into action and met him halfway.

His face came into the light, and I saw soft but shrewd blue eyes. His lips were not small nor were they sumptuous. His eyes did not miss a beat as I swiftly dismounted and walked closer. I smiled at him briefly and swept back my hood, enough for him to see my face. I flashed a sliver of my golden bracelet with the eight pointed star on it, and his lips jumped up in a toothy welcome. He pushed forward a hand and shook mine.

"Welcome to Evergrove."