Eight

I reached the castle as the bells for twilight sounded all around. I made sure I was not followed again and slipped inside the doors to the kitchen. Dim embers burned low in the grate, and my candle from earlier was still there. I walked briskly towards it, but stopped short when I heard a low cough behind me. My hand instinctively reached for the throat belonging to that person. I turned and lowered my hand, blue sparks died along with it.

"Shae?" I took a step back, dark tendrils of smoke curled up my arm and vanished.

"I thought you had that under control?" She gulped.

"Me too." I stepped backwards again and shook my cloak over my twitching hand. I slipped back my hood with the other, and sat on a nearby wooden chair. The flagstones were still warm, but just barely as I put my bare feet near the embers. My skin was wrinkled and damp. I leaned back into the chair and unclasped my cloak. It hit the floor with a very wet thump.

"Wash them if needs be, or burn them. I don't care." I glanced sideways.

Shae's eyes glittered with fear as she took in my still shaking hand, heavy breathing and likely pallid face.

"Jasmine tea?" She walked towards the kettle. I watched her go. Her shoulders slumped, as she remained small and hunched over as the tea leaves spilled into the copper kettle. Her movements were swift and short. I glanced at the fire. and the small metal cradle beside it. The legs were long and spindly, and a small ring sat perched atop the four legs. I watched as Shae brought over the kettle and let it rest there.

She remained standing further away from me then before. I sighed but held my tongue. I hadn't meant to frighten her, but she was right. I was supposed to be controlling whatever this was, not the other way around. I decided right then, that I would do everything in my power to lessen Shae's fear and expand my knowledge. I could hear the water beginning to boil like my fear, and lent to pick up the kettle.

"You'll-" she stopped when I didn't wince as the hot metal grazed my skin.

"Don't worry about it." I poured myself a cup. The liquid slipped down my throat. I drank the whole cup in one go, and poured another.

"How long have you been up?"

"Since you left." Shae busied herself with picking up my cloak and mud ridden shoes which were now a solid brown. I glanced at them and shook my head.

"Go to sleep. I'll deal with them." I winced as pain seized my hand. Shae stepped forward to comfort me.

"Don't! Just go." I grimaced. Shae turned and fled. I put down my jasmine tea and the pot on the side. I stood up and looked around the kitchen for something stronger. My eyes glanced over a small black box deep in a corner. There, exactly what I needed. I skidded over on my knees, my hands frantically searching it for any sign of an opening. A small crack was on the side and I pried it open with my nails. I struggled with it until all my nails were chipped and ragged. I bit the side of my cheek and swore.

"Rats..."

Finally, it opened and small boxes in faded cream spilled all over my stumbling hands. I grabbed the third box, as the cramped writing burned into my eyes. I hastily shoved all the other boxes back inside and slammed the hatch closed. I sat back on my heels and opened the box, peering into it; small vials of golden ale sat inside. The liquid looked thick and was the colour of old amber. Burnt orange, with flecks of black. I snagged a vial and slipped the box into my dress pockets. I walked back to the pile of my clothes and the rapidly diminishing fire. I prodded the embers with my toe, shoving ashes to the side. I made space for my shoes and dumped my cloak on top.

From this angle they looked like a small bundle that could have swaddled a babe. I gulped as the air lessened in my throat and I choked back a small sob. Faces flashed in my mind, of Dagdvar's death grimace, it was there and then gone. I closed my eyes and the images came faster. People who would never know a warm, loving embrace appeared again and again; because of me. I opened my eyes, and fire engulfed the wet puddle of nothing. All that was left was ashes. I stayed until there was nothing but embers again and the smell of burnt fabric. A small breeze rushed through the kitchen, and back out the door before it closed.

I turned on my heel and swept up the stairs to my chambers. There was a lot for me to learn, and it felt like something dark was waiting at the end of this for me. I couldn't put my finger on it and shook it off nonchalantly. I thought back to that one image of the shadow man and shivered. Keldur was not finished with me, not by a long shot.

I slept fitfully that night, it was to be expected. I closed my eyes, and those faces, so many of them plagued me. All were screaming at me, their faces contorted in agony, anger and fear. In my dream, I stood alone, but a shadowy hand sat present on my shoulder guiding me forward. Always forward, never back. Dagdvar stood at the centre, his finger was black and ashen, pointed at me. Level with my chest. His mouth opened and snakes made of shadow slithered out. I looked down, they slithered fast towards my feet. Up, up, up they climbed. Encasing my feet. Then my ankles. Then my calves. Sooner than I would have liked, my whole waist all the way back down to the floor was covered in writhing shadow. I struggled against the shadows, trying to break free, but paralysis had set in and I couldn't even move a muscle.

The shadows crept higher still, and I tried to scream. I opened my mouth to call out for someone, anyone. Only, more shadows of my own making took form and crept down my arms. Past my heart. They coalesced at my fingertips. Until every inch of me was darkness and death. I tried to open my eyes and found only an abyss. The shadows had claimed me as their own. Laughter consumed my ears.

I started awake. I felt the dampened bed sheets around me, and grabbed fistfuls of it. I rolled over and stared at the ceiling. My breathing was heavy, raspy and fast. I lay on my back for quite some time before my breathing finally slowed. I sat up slowly, running my fingers through my hair. They caught on lengthy tangles and I almost yelped. The perils of sleeping in yesterday's hair do.

I got out of the bed fully, and traipsed to the looking glass. My chemise was stuck to my body, drenched in cold sweat. I angrily tugged it off me. I stood naked before the glass and stared long and hard at what was supposed to be me. Except it was not. The ladies reflection was nothing but a lie. Her hair was an astonishing shade of white, her cheekbones were fuller, lower and sensuous lips opened up in a seductive smile. She was the same height as me and had the same violet eyes, but that was where the only similarities stopped. Her chest was full, and pert. Her waist was like mine, but her hips were wider and encased in liquid onyx.

She looked like the mistress of death, and her voice was soft and like scuttling spiders as she spoke.

"Hello, Tatiana. Wait, can I call you Tati? No, I'll call you Tati..." She rambled.

I went to touch the glass, and she tutted.

"Not yet. He's told me a lot about you."

I withdrew my hand sharply and she crossed her powerful arms over her chest. I stared at her, my mouth agape. Then she was gone. Without even so much as a goodbye. Her voice sounded in my head.

"You can call me Asteria. Come find me...." Her voice drifted off into nothing.

I was left staring at my own reflection properly. Where my heart should be there was a small sphere of shadow and mist. It pulsed, and thin and rapidly growing veins spread outwards from my chest. I gasped as it moved, but they stopped just before reaching my shoulder. There was now a lattice work of ornate black veins covering half of my upper torso. It looked like a snarling wolf intertwined with vines and thorns. It was beautiful, but otherworldly. It was now such a clearly defined part of me. I touched it, and my skin was sensitive, and red blemished the raised black work underneath. I winced and dropped my hand.

I would try getting it off later. I needed to cover it up for now. I found the closest drawer and opened it. I pulled out a long sleeved something and shoved it on. I grabbed a tan skirt next, and tied the waist. It wasn't much, but it would have to do, for now.

I watched silently, brooding, as the sky outside traversed from dusk; to dawn. To the warm shade of daylight creeping across my cold cheek.