We all stayed in silence. I was trying to piece everything together. When I passed out the other day I didn't think it was anything. Maybe the fumes from the paint had made me feel a little lightheaded and woozy. A reasonable explanation, really. But the blood that came from my nose was out of the ordinary. I couldn't quite grasp why Rebekah standing in the middle of the road, and then there was the crash...me drowning, and going numb. Also, Damon and Meredith's conversation about a cerebral hemorrhage...

I remember waking up.

Oh my God.

I looked at the three pairs of eyes on me before taking a deep breath. "I-" I clenched my fists together. "I'm in transition," I murmured, trying to sound calm. My voice was shaky, totally out of place. How could anyone in their right mindset be calm when they find out they're going to turn into a supernatural creature, only to never age again?

"She's not ready for this," Stefan hissed. "Elena, you're not ready."

"Who are you to tell her what she wants? For all you know, she could be itching to rip someone's throat out," Damon argued, smirking at me a little. I bit my lip nervously.

"Meredith, you gave me blood. Why?" I asked her, ignoring the feud between the brothers.

"Elena, I knew the consequences if you had died simply as every human should, and I took action, hoping that it wouldn't have to be this way, but- I can't change that, and I'm sorry." She sighed and put her elbows up on the desk. "I didn't know this would happen," she moaned.

"Don't apologise, you were doing the right thing," I said, and smiled at her. Her eyes lit up, ending the sad expression on her face. I looked back at the two boys, who were both staring at me, their fists clenched.

"Elena, whatever you choose, I'll be here for you," Stefan said softly.

"Stefan, she's not going to choose to end her life," Damon replied, but then froze. "Will you?"

I leant forward in my chair, pondering. I always put others before myself, but to actually know that I will die for real...

"No, there has to be a way around this," I murmured.

"A spell?" Meredith offered, getting up from her desk. "Look, I'll leave this open, but I have to check on some patients." She glanced at me once more before exiting the room quietly.

"That witch might be able to resolve this," Damon muttered.

"Bonnie would gladly do this," Stefan answered. "I'll call her outside, I'll be a few minutes." He swiftly walked to the door and shut it behind him.

Sitting in a room with Damon made me feel...calm, but anxious at the same time.

"Stefan's trying to buy you time Elena." I hadn't realised that I was staring at the wall until Damon spoke, bringing my gaze to his. "He doesn't want you to be a vampire, but you knew that right?" He smirked again, and then crossed one leg over the other, leaning back.

"Stefan loves me Damon, he would love me either way," I challenged, frowning. Would he? "I mean, he certainly loves me enough to save me from turning..."

"That's the problem, don't you see it? He doesn't want you to change, he wants you to stay vulnerable; the pretty little brown eyed fawn he fell in love with. He wouldn't be able to handle you as one of us, simply because your behaviour has a higher chance of changing."

"I would be the same as I am now, Damon. What are you trying to say?"

"I'm saying, that he wouldn't be with you if you turned into someone that you're not- say Katherine for example." Damon's weary eyes flickered to the door and back to me. He held a finger to his lips and smiled.

Stefan opened the door on cue and put his phone back in his pocket. "Bonnie's agreed to try and reverse the change, but you have less than 24 hours as we speak, so we need to keep you inside, away from the sun, humans, and most of all- blood."

"Elena, you can come home with us," Damon offered, standing up and holding his hand out. "Human free!" he sang.

I pushed his hand away. "I'm capable of going back to my own house, Jeremy won't hurt me," I muttered.

"Elena, there's temptations everywhere, Jeremy's only one." Stefan's voice was cold.

I shivered, and glanced at Damon as we walked to the entrance of the hospital. Maybe he was right, Stefan only wanted me as a human. Meredith popped out of a room and looked at me.

"You leaving so soon?"

"We want to get her settled in as soon as possible," Damon answered.

"I'll sign you out when I've finished," she said smiling.

The drive to my house was silent. The tension was honestly so thick, that it was making me more uncomfortable by the second.

"Jeremy's not home yet," I said as I got out of the car and into the fresh cool air.

"Bonnie will be here in an hour," Stefan said as we walked inside. "I suggest you should get comfortable somewhere..."

I took a seat on the couch and turned on the television. "Did she tell you what she has as a plan?" I asked as I hugged a cushion.

Stefan started to close all of the blinds and curtains so that there was no light in the house. "She needs to flick through the grimoire and find a spell, and also gather the materials so she can plan it out."

"The witch better be able to figure this out," Damon muttered. "Or else she'll be useless."

"Don't talk about Bonnie that way!"

Damon pushed a curtain aside and a stream of light shone on my face, making me squeeze my eyes shut and hold the pillow up.

"Damon don't mess with her, you know how strong she is," Stefan hissed.

"I would love to know," Damon replied, sitting on the couch next to me.

"I'm going to go and find Jeremy, Damon stay here and don't do anything irrational while I'm gone." Stefan slammed the door.

"He's furious," Damon said, chuckling.

"So were you just a minute ago," I remarked, hugging the pillow once again.

"Elena, it would be good for you to experience immortal life, you know that?"

"Tell me a story," I blurted. He raised an eyebrow. "T- tell me a story of when you had first turned, if you remember."

"Elena, of course I remember," he murmured, resting his hand on my thigh. The instant heat made my skin tingle. I didn't remove his hand.

"I was in a bar..."

Authors Note: I'm rewriting it because I know I can make it better and I'm dedicating my holidays to editing and then finishing the story, so please read from the start again as I will most likely change each chapter in places.

Love you for reading, mwah xo