Chapter 40) Morons

Dylan.

She had dreamt before of going to Europe and travelling with a close knit group of friends, renting some sort of vehicle, sight seeing, exploring and perhaps not showering for a questionable period of time in order to save some spending money. However, that was not this trip. She was working on driving, yes, but currently she could not legally drive a rental car, much less a rental car with the steering wheel on the opposite side of the vehicle.

She also was not travelling with her closest friends, but with her two parents - the type of people to enjoy a wine and cheese tasting tour - and her brother - the kind that sleeps in until noon and prefers exploring whatever parties he can manage to con into.

Not exactly the partners in crime she was hoping for.

She would, however, make the most out of the trip. She was going to keep herself busy, drink copious amounts of tea, and explore as much as she could, on a budget in London. Which she assumed wouldn't give her much. She shook her head, ridding herself of the negative thoughts. She would have fun. London was a dream of hers, and now she would see it.

"Why are you shaking your head? Dylan, are you even listening to me?" Sarah's hands found Dylan's cheeks and held her face so that they were looking at each other. "Did you hear anything I just said?"

"Maybe..?" She gave Sarah a hopeless look.

The taller girl sighed, releasing her friend's cheeks. "I was saying that you should facetime me while you're gone. It's not the same here without you." Her best friend plopped down on Dylan's bed, beside the open suitcase that was mostly packed - thanks to Sarah's help.

"You're being over dramatic. You would be the coolest girl ever without me." Dylan walked to the wardrobe that held her clothes, most of which were strewn here and there, and threw her Supernatural themed pyjamas in her suitcase.

"More like the lamest."

Dylan shook her head. She had gotten a haircut a few days previous and it just barely swept her shoulders as she moved.

"Also, I think a certain boy called Tanner misses you too." Sarah propped herself on her elbow, Dylan couldn't help thinking: paint me like now of your french ladies, as the other girl let a malicious grin take residence on her usually sweet face. "Last time you left he'd come up to me in the hallways, kept talking to me, wondering where you were. And -" She paused for dramatic effect, "he was blushing."

Dylan snorted, and to think I'm supposed to be the naive one.

"It's true!" Sarah sat up further, her face intent. "He's totally into you."

"He's totally not."

"How can you be so sure? What happened to my hopeless romantic best friend?" Her blue eyes tried to search Dylan's face, but she quickly turned away, debating whether or not she were too old to bring her favourite stuffed animal along the ride to London.

"The old Dylan can't come to the phone right now." Dylan hugged the stuffed bear, Greg to her chest. He used to seem so much bigger, and softer. He still brought her comfort.  "Why?"

"Oh, cause she's dead!" The two girls said in unison, giggling a bit as they yelled the last part loud enough to solicit a groan from Keaton two doors down.