Chapter 38) In the know

Nat.

Why didn't you tell me before? How long have you known? Nat sprang up from his position on his bed, or moreover - fell off of it, legs trapped awkwardly within the confines of his duvet. He had been awake for a while now, contemplating whether or not he wished to waste his time watching stupid youtube videos, or trying to fall back asleep; he hadn't been late night walking in a while.

"My mom just told me now. You know how I said she was hiding something? Well this is it. We're going to be in London in two weeks time." Dylan said in a flurry for the second time around, her voice only partially exasperated from reiterating.

And I'm just now hearing about this? Nat scoffed aloud as he pulled a random t-shirt over his head. There was no use trying to sleep anyway. Grabbing his phone off the little bed side table, the screen flashed the time: 4:15 am. Sunday.

"Well, it's not my fault!" Dylan's voice rose defensively in his head, she was probably crossing her arms in what she insisted was a 'power stance.'

Where are you staying? Nat decided there was no use pestering her about why neither of them had known sooner.  She had the same amount of answers as him: none.

"I don't know." The words were just a huff in his head.

He ran a hand through his untidy hair in frustration. Do you know anything?

"Do you know how to talk to people without insulting them?" A hiss.

What fun is that?

"Plenty. Plenty of fun. You should try it some time." Dylan's voice held a feigned chirpiness that only produced eye rolling.

A pair of unnecessarily heavy footsteps shook the floor above him. His mother was awake.

I'm going to get answers.

"And I'm going to bed." Her voice surfaced in his head, no longer holding its edge, ready to parry with his banter.

In my time of distress? What kind of Fairy Godmother are you?

"A tired one. Besides, I don't have any more intel for you. My mom just told me the basics - I'll interrogate her tomorrow." She spoke dismissively, and Nat could sense the absence closely followed. Either Dylan had blocked him off, or she had literally fallen asleep after saying her piece.

Mildly offended - though she hadn't been much of a help anyway - Nat trudged up the stairs towards the cacophony that was his mother, muttering a "fine," though the girl in his head was beyond hearing it.

++++++

"Nathan, honey, did I wake you?" Dianne Kloss glanced over her shoulder with a smile as she continued loudly chopping up what appeared to be a bell pepper.

"No." Soundless like a ghost, her only son moved over to where she scooped the mutilated vegetable into a plastic bag. "Can I ask you something?"

The slightly squat woman didn't even glance at him as she continued packing her food for the day. She often went in to work early to organize the shelves at the little "boutique," that she'd spent her life fussing over. Nat never cared to spend much time there.

"Did you know that the Larson's are planning a trip here?" He leaned his back against the kitchen counter, watching her bumble around the kitchen.

"Isn't it grand?" She exclaimed cheerily, her dark hair bobbing as she nodded her head in enthusiasm.

"What?" Nat couldn't believe she had known, and had kept it to herself - had kept it from him.