Chapter 12: Best Regards // He's one of Them

Aubree's P.O.V.

I woke up in a cold sweat Z shaking me and holding me, Jay hands me some tea and stays with me while Z goes to start the bath for me. "3:42 am, gotta be a new record. Longest you've slept in the last few weeks." Jay says smirking at me. This is the first time I've every seen him smirk and if I wasn't so in love with Z I would have probably found him attractive.

"You're keeping track? didn't know you cared so much." I smirk back as he he smiles and scoffs. "Thank you Jay for always being here.. I really appreciate it.." Z told me that sometimes when Jay can't sleep he'll come and sit outside the door just to make sure I'm okay, and that I'm not having any nightmares. Of course I always do but he's always there with tea and a sad smile cause he knows what it's like. He's living in the spare room now I think it's because we help eachother through our nightmares so much, so Zanders parents let him move in. I like having him around to talk to about all this it helps me not feel so alone. He's here for me just like I am for him when he has nightmares. At least when he sleeps.. Jay hugs me and we sit in silence for a bit. Me just sipping my tea in bed and jay laying on the floor staring at the roof. 

Jay sits up, looking at me. "So." He says getting comfy beside me on the bed. "Why the awful nightmares?" I look at him confused. What kind of question is that?  "I know why I have nightmares so why do you? Where do they come from?"

"They come from my brain Curious George." I say and Jay laughs.

"No really? I had no idea." He laughs. "You said you'd talk to your dad and hopfully get some information on why and I know you talk to him at least every two days. So spill."

"I'd like to know too.." Z says walking back into the room.

"It's rude to eves drop you know." Z just rolls his eyes at me, him and Jay now both on the bed waiting for an explanation.

"Okay fine. My dad says they come from when I was little, and the hands grabbing me symbolize the times my biological parents tried to steal me back in my sleep.. My mom caught them, to this day she doesn't know how they got into the house. We had to move.."

"Holy shit.." Jay looks scared and angry and Z looks like he's either about to cry or kill someone.. "Why would they do that? You have parents that love you like their own obviously you were adopted for a reason. I mean like Oby came from a bad home and his bio family knew that and they never contacted cause they know he's making something better for himself... I mean not everyone is like Oby's bio family though..." Jay is trying to put all the pieces together, I've heard about Oby's story and being adopted is what gave us such a strong bond.

"They were heroin addicts.. Probably still are. I was a drug baby.. Came out my mom's belly addicted to heroin, I stayed in the hospital the first months I was born.. They tried to take me because I was theirs.." By the time I'm finished explaining I'm whispering, and both boys are hugging me.

"Well you're awesome for all the shit you've been through, you truly are the coolest person ever." Jay ruffles my hair and leaves the room.

"And the smartest, and the most beautiful, and I love you." Z mumbles into my neck.

"I love you too."

"Come on princess, bath the back to bed." He says picking me up bridal style and carrying me into the bathroom.

The next morning was quiet and calm, until my laptop started chiming. "Good morning honey!" My mom says from wherever the heck she is now, they've decided not to stay in one place they're travelling as many places as possible before they have to come home. "How are things there?"