[____]

"I'm going to name one Little Shitter," Hojo says as he pushes the shopping cart forward. You follow beside him, throwing what you need inside the cart. Cleaning supplies, dog food, and some snacks for your brother decorate your grocery list.

"Oh?"

"I've never seen a dog crap so much. Seriously, out of all the puppies I've helped care for, this one just has an endless supply of... shit," Hojo states, having found a lack of a better word for the animal droppings.

You chuckle as you take the cart from him and drive it down the aisle to the cash register. "Mom is going to clean your mouth with soap if she hears you."

"Why?? She's the one who won't stop using that word to describe the pup," he gasps. "She goes 'YOU SHIT AGAIN YOU LITTLE SHIT' and I'm just copying her."

The recount of his memories echoes throughout the neighborhood grocery store, and you gain some unwanted stares. However, they linger when they notice your familiar face and you can feel the scornful gazes. You push the car a little harder to quickly hide in the register lane. Hojo notices your frantic pace and glances around at the other patrons.

When his confused stare meets the scorn directed at you, he frowns. "What are you looking at, huh?!" he shouts to no one in particular. It causes a quiet murmur in the store but they return to their shopping. 

"You don't have to do that," you mumble as you place the last of the items on the conveyer belt. 

"They don't know the whole story, so they don't get to judge," Hojo humphs as he crosses his arms. 

"You don't either," you unconsciously say but regret the words instantly. "Um... I--"

"That's because you don't want to tell me," he retorts back. He doesn't sound the least bit dejected at your refusal to provide any information; actually, he sounds more motivated than anything. 

The sound of the items being scanned into the cash register beeps in a mundane fashion. Your brain focuses solely on that noise to wash out your regrets, your pain, and the fear of being alone. A cold expression blankets your face, a mask you've expertly crafted for times like these. 

"Stop shutting me out, [Name]."

"Your total is $23.09, dear," the elderly cashier states. It's then you spot her fake smile, but you ignore it and pay in cash.

"Here," you give her the exact change and she counts slowly. You watch her deliberately slow counting and you try not to let it annoy you. 

"Is there a problem?" Hojo asks as he finds the need to interject. 

"No, no, dear. Give me a bit to count this... I know your sister is always in a hurry to run off somewhere, but you need to do better than her and be patient. That's why nothing good happens to her," the woman responds.

Your whole body stops, stunned at the outright venom in this woman's voice. You've known this woman since you were in elementary school. You called her Kit Kat because of all the kit kat bars she'd give you when you'd go to the store with your mom and even throughout high school when you swung by with Allan.

Never has she treated you with ill-will. Never. 

And it appears to have affected your little brother as well. Despite the stares, no one has ever mentioned anything to you like this. He wants to yell at her, but he grits his teeth due to her elder status. 

You look behind Hojo to see a line forming. Ongoing spectators view the confrontation with interest; they're waiting for a scene so that they will have more to talk about when they get home or attend gatherings.