♛A Header♛

Not many in this world know how their computers operate. Most people might own one, maybe find it easy to maneuver through its interface, but do they know how it truly works?

To me, the way these soulless machines function is truly fascinatinghow they use simplistic yet complex codes, how they perform in a pattern-like manner, how layered they are. Input something into the system and it will return with what you had asked of it.

There's so much to learn from them. Take for example the way computers communicate with each other. First the computer places a header on the message, basically pasting on a 'to:' and 'from:'. Then it segments it, cutting it up into little parts so that it's easier to travel. The segmented message is then sent through the trillions of data being processed and through all the routers and wiring in its path until it makes it to its destination.

From there, it enters the destination's router where the header is taken off and arranged correctly. Finally, it is sent to the receiving computer, where the user reads the message intended for them.

Though complex, it's reliable; it's structured.

Structure. That's all I ever asked for. Why couldn't life be like that?

x-x-x-x-x-x

A puff of air escapes you, the harsh winds of winter blowing at the short strands of your hair. You pay no mind to it as you eye the tall building in front of you. The sky is clouded yet the bold letters of 'Akashi Investments' pierces through the overcast.

Shivering, you take one last look at the building before entering it. You welcome the heat it emits, shedding your coat and muffler to further engross yourself in luxury heating. Just one scan of the area and you can feel how the building exudes decadence—high ceilings, paintings with rich color, marble floors. Nothing is out of place or too much. It's tasteful, and although you would have never thought someone like you would work here, you don't question the company's decision. Being one of the best in the field, it didn't come as a surprise that you were chosen among your prestigious peers.

But as accomplished as you may be, it still didn't relieve you of your nerves. Making your way towards the receptionist's counter, you can't help but feel jittery with every step you take. As you open your mouth, a girl, who is dressed to perfection and appears close to you in age, realizes your presence and straightens her already perfect posture.

"May I help you?" she asks. Her warm expression is countered by the large, elegant painting that hangs behind her, and you don't know whether to smile or to be on guard.

"I just got hired..." you start but pause when her eyes widen.

"Yes, of course. Miss ___, right?" she quickly types something up on her keyboard. "Let's create your badge first. It'll give you access to the server room, which is where your office is."

You aren't given a chance to respond as she waves you over to the right side of the counter. You comply, traveling over to the small webcam stationed over the monitor. Giving it a small smile, you wait for it to flash and capture an image of you, yet her warnings to smile never come.

"All right. Here's your badge!"

Your tense smile evaporates. "When did you... Argh, nevermind."

Quickly, you take the badge from her, clipping it to the pocket of your pants.

"The server room can only be accessed using the third elevator. The room is on the 26th floor, and you must swipe your badge to enter the floor number," she instructs.