Breaking Point

My eyes flew open as I sat up. Derek launched himself at me wrapping his arms around me. I relaxed into his embrace a warmth sending a shockwave through my system.

"Clarissa," Derek gasped as I looked into his blue eyes.

"Derek," I smiled before pulling his lips to mine. Derek's arms wrapped around my waist as the tension left his body. The man I loved reappeared before my eyes. My heart pounded in my chest, I didn't have to worry about Derek being taken from me. I caressed his cheek seeing the love in his eyes. "I love you and not even death could stop me from loving you."

"I love you Clarissa," Derek said as Zeus tapped his shoulder.

"Clarissa, we need to talk about what happened," Zeus said as I got off the bed.

"Right. I divided the Fates. Atropos didn't want to cut my thread," I said as Derek gripped my hand. "Hades apparently pissed them off enough to bring me back to life."

"I knew bringing the dead back to life would bite him," Derek muttered as Zeus sighed.

"They want me to deal with Hades," I said after a minute. "I can handle him but Derek you have to promise you'll stay here with Zeus."

"But you don't know the Underworld like Hades does," Derek said as I glanced at Zeus.

"You're right but I also won't have to fight you and him if you stay here," I said firmly. Derek clung to my hand as I faced him. "I promise Derek, I can handle Hades."

"I just got you back," he whispered as I caressed his cheek.

"Derek nothing will stop me from returning to you," I said trying to calm his fears.

"I'll make sure she's well trained before she goes," Zeus said as I turned toward him. "And I'll go with her." Zeus walked out of the room motioning me to follow him. I took one last glance at Derek before walking toward the hallway.

"Be safe Clarissa," Derek said before I followed Zeus to the arena. We entered the arena instantly going to work. I gasped as Zeus blasted me across the room. Electricity danced across my skin as I pushed myself to my feet. Zeus hit me with another wave of electricity but I braced for the power this time. I took in the electricity walking toward him. A smile played at my lips before I aimed at Zeus. Zeus collapsed onto the ground as I continued to use my powers on him. The ground beneath Zeus cracked causing me to stop using the electricity. Zeus got to his feet slowly before tossing me a sword.

"No magic," he said holding his own sword up. He took a swing which I deflected only for him to spin to the right aiming for my side. Our swords clashed together again. Zeus turned to the left his sword grazing my arm. I winced but didn't hesitate to block his next swing. His sword barreled at my neck. I brought my own sword up to meet his. I pushed against his sword as he smirked. My arms trembled with exhaustion my body covered in sweat. Zeus looked bored and unimpressed by my sword fighting skills. Dying must have taken a lot out of me. "Clarissa if you can even fight me for a few minutes you aren't ready to face Hades." My eyes searched Zeus looking for a weakness I could use to gain the advantage. His put all his weight of his right leg so all I had to do was land one good blow. I fell to the ground sliding underneath him. I got to my feet quickly kicking the back of his right knee. His leg buckled sending him tumbling to the ground. His sword scraped across the floor out of his reach. I put the tip of my blade against the back of his neck.

"I win," I breathed heavily only for him to sweep my legs out from under me. I groaned as my head bounced off the mat. Zeus ran toward his sword. I rolled over getting to my feet.

"Never ever let your guard down. Even if you think you've won," Zeus snapped as I gripped the handle of my sword tightly. I gasped as Zeus threw his sword at me. I ducked a few seconds before the sword wound have hit me. Zeus spun kicking my stomach. I fell to my knees as Zeus grabbed my sword.

"Zeus," Aphrodite called causing him to look up.

"What?" He demanded harshly.

"She needs a break," Aphrodite said as I lay on the mat. I panted as Zeus stiffened.

"We don't have time," he snapped as Aphrodite crossed her arms.

"If you continue to push her like that she won't make it," Aphrodite said firmly. Zeus tossed the sword down anger glistening in his gaze. I got to my feet holding my stomach as my body ached. I limped out of the room with Aphrodite. My powers filled my body easing my discomfort. I walked to my room only to find Derek waiting for me. I smiled as he wrapped his arm around my waist.

"How'd it go?" He asked as I frowned. I didn't want to lie to him but if I didn't he would never let me fight Hades.

"Good," I forced a smile as I flopped on my bed. "Zeus and I are leaving tomorrow."

"I hoped you would change your mind," he sighed climbing into the bed next to me. His arm rested on my hip his nose inches from mine. As we lay on the bed he just stared at me as if taking in my features. I relaxed, my body had longed to lay with him and now I could. My mind raced unable to prevent the fears in the back of my head. The most prevalent fear was losing Derek again. I had to beat Hades not just for me but for us all. Hades was spiraling into chaos and the chaos would kill us all. The more I defied him the more unhinged he became. My eyes grew heavy as I drifted off to a troubled sleep.