Rude Awakenings

I woke in his arms. Derek stroked my shoulder gently, a smile playing at his lips.

"Morning," I smirked as his blue gaze turned to me.

"Hello beautiful," he said as I sat up pushing my blonde hair from my face. I slipped from the bed slipping into a black bandage dress.

"I am so going to be late," I muttered brushing my teeth quickly. I fixed my hair when I felt his arms around my waist urging me to stay.

"Then be late," he purred in my ear. My heart raced in anticipation as his lips touched my neck.

"I can't," I stammered sliding out of his arms. He ran his hand through his dark hair sighing.

"I love you," he said abruptly.

"I love you too," I said without hesitation. I turned walking to the front door grabbing my car keys. I opened the door taking one last look at Derek before walking to my black sports car, a gift from Derek. Just as I reached my car the sky darkened rather quickly. I looked up my mouth parted slightly as my keys slipped from my hands. In an instant Derek was by my side. His hand rested on my lower back.

"Clarissa, you have to listen to me," Derek said fear in his blue gaze. It was only a storm but why was he so scared? "Stay behind me and stay quiet."

"But why? What's wrong?" I asked as lightning struck the ground. As the light faded I saw a man standing in the bolt's wake. He strode forward as Derek gave me a gentle push behind his body.

"Derek, may I ask what you are doing here? You know you aren't supposed to leave the underworld," he boomed as fear filled my body. Did he just say underworld? That's not possible.

"I'm sorry Zeus but I wanted to know what it was like to be on Earth," Derek said as Zeus's eyes shifted to me.

"She's human. Are you insane? You are putting her in danger Derek!" Zeus snapped as I gripped Derek's hand firmly. While I wasn't sure what was going on I knew I loved Derek unconditionally.

"I didn't plan this," he whispered looking down.

"You know the rules Derek and by the way she clings to your hand you broke the rules," Zeus growled as Derek gave me a hard shove causing me to stumble into an alley before Zeus hit Derek with a bolt. I gasped covering my mouth.
Derek got to his feet slowly blood dripping from his mouth.

"Clarissa run," Derek said as tears streaked my cheeks. He was hurt and he expected me to just leave him. I felt fear but I also felt strong, I couldn't leave him. I walked out of the alley rushing to his side. I cupped his face in my hands my blue eyes filled with tears. Zeus watched as I put myself between them in an effort to save Derek. I know he lied about who he was but I loved him and couldn't let him die.

"I'm not leaving you," I said firmly before our lips collided. I gasped as a light surrounded us briefly before I noticed that we were in a different place. We appeared to be in a dark cave, I believe to be the underworld. Derek collapsed onto the floor as I knelt down next to him. "Derek, what can I do?"

"Nothing," the voice rang out. I watched as a man stood before us. "Hello my son."

"Who are you?" I asked as his fingers touched the tips of my hair as he passed me.

"I'm Hades my dear," he said as he faced me.

"As in the God of the underworld?" I stuttered as he laughed.

"Yes and you are?" He asked as Derek struggled to his feet.

"None of your concern," Derek snapped as I watched them.

"Derek, I need to go back, my mother is expecting me for dinner," I said as he looked sadly at me.

"I'm sorry but you can't leave," Derek said as I stepped away from him.

"Derek my life is up there! Everyone I care about needs me," I said firmly but Hades just laughed.

"If you go back up there, my brother will come for you. You are the one person who could change the war. Derek is strong but if they had you Derek wouldn't fight anymore," Hades said as tears filled my eyes.

"Please don't cry," Derek pleaded but still tears cascaded my face. Derek rushed to me cupping my face in his hands. I looked at him rage boiling up inside. I gave him a shove turning my back on him.

"I can't stand the sight of you. You lied to me about who you are and now you are holding me here like a prisoner," I growled as Derek stayed quiet. I looked at my hand seeing the ruby ring he gave me last spring. I felt hurt that he couldn't trust me or tell me who he was.

"Persephone, show Clarissa to her room," Hades said after a moment. A woman walked toward me a knowing sadness in her eyes. She led me gently deep into the underworld to a large room. The room had a queen-sized bed with a black hand carved frame. Each room was a cave with a curtain for privacy. There were hundreds of beautiful gowns for me to wear.

"I'm sorry," she said softly. I recalled from my Greek Mythology class that she was also a prisoner here, a queen but still a prisoner.

"Does it get easier?" I whispered to her. She shook her head wishing she could have said yes.

"Don't be too hard on Derek, he meant to keep you out of this. He was going to breakup with you today but my father already had found out," she said as I looked at her.

"He wasn't going to tell me the truth ever," I said a sharp pain in my chest. She touched my arm before excusing herself. I sat on the bed sobbing. I accidentally fell in love with a Greek God and now was trapped here...