I am NOT your Alpha - Not Worthy

Nothing smells better than nostalgia. It roots deep in the pit of your stomach and makes you hungry for something – you just don’t know what. It’s warm though, you can feel it thrumming in your veins.

            Hickory, Leather, and Maple… Or is it amber and bergamot?  I breathed in deep breaths, slowly savoring the scent of my grandfather, the scent of family. He did the same, he held me close with his nose planted firmly on the top of my head, sniffing as if my scent unearthed my journey. It probably did.

            “Sandalwood?” I murmured into my grandpa’s chest before leaning back a bit, not far enough though, to release my hold on him.

            He raised his brows at me before trying to hold me at arms distance to look me over, a habit he had taken up shortly after I left home and refused to turn. I wouldn’t budge. “Come on’ girl, let me take a look at you?”

             I shook my head and instead locked my arms tighter around him, planting my nose directly at the center of his chest – relishing in his smell and immediately feeling a calm lull over me. He nudged and prodded for a while before realizing that I didn’t intend on moving. My eyes were shut tight, my body hypersensitive to the sounds of wolves leaving and returning from the clearing, probably to dress, and the slow rise and fall of his chest.

            “You aren’t going to introduce me to your friends then?”

            My initial instinct was to shake my head again, but instead I spoke, eyes closed and not budging, directly into my grandpa’s chest. “Grandpa, Fee and Danny, Fee and Danny, Grandpa.” I knew what I said, but to the surrounding wolves, and my grandpa, it probably sounded like ‘Gwaha, Fweananny, freeandy grandpa.’

            “She does this every time,” an all too familiar voice said, before I felt hands tickling at my sides, simultaneously pulling me away from my grandpa. As usual, I squirmed and kicked wildly back in his direction, and cackled loudly when one of my kicks actually landed. He let out a groan and fell to the ground cursing under his breath.

            “Was that really necessary?” Jason rasped out. I turned in time to see my brother clutching his knee and launched myself at him next.

            “I missed you both so much.” I said, squeezing the life out of my only brother in the world.

            “These are my friends, Fiona and Daniel, Fiona and Daniel, the two hunks over here are my Grandpa and my big brother.” When I finally let go of Jason, he reached forward and shook hands with both of my new friends, and from there we made our way back to the pack house.

            My grandpa and his wolves live in the center of a large forest that sits on the outskirts of a town. The forest is privately owned land, past down in my family for generations. And while the town does have a medium sized population of humans living in it, none of them venture up to the forest, so here, wolf kind doesn’t necessarily have to be overly cautious.

            His pack house is in the center of the forest, it’s where all wolves congregate when they’re dealing with pack issues or simply in the surrounding area. It’s a one story building, covered by the canopy of green redwood, oak, and pine leafs. It extends to the width of about three normal sized houses and length of the same, a sight to behold in the forest.

            We go in and are immediately taken to the Alpha’s quarters – my grandpa’s offices. I explained to him the situation at hand; I, or, we, had been attacked and we didn’t clearly understand why. Fiona had lost her position as omega after I defeated her alpha; he lost his powers even though I told him to retain his position.