I am NOT your Alpha - Education

Jason walked approached from the tree line at a casual pace. He kept eye contact with me for as long as he could, and even when the submissive part of him was probably begging for him to acknowledge lesser rank, he held his head high – giving me his full undivided attention.

“Cass has her own bit of training to do now guys,” he said, reaching his hand out and pulling me onto my feet. And with that, we left. An uncomfortable silence hung between us as we walked away from the clearing. I could tell he was agitated, probably at me, and knew it was my fault. It seems that I have a penchant for making people angry.

The trees began to break, and a dirt path opened up beneath our feet. I hadn’t said a word, and my brother continued to walk along side me with furrowed brows until we reached the door. “I spoke to grandpa. He doesn’t want to let you train, but of course you know that. I convinced him though, to let you start at least learning how to control your dominant nature, and about Alpha formality. If you can’t tell though, he isn’t very pleased with you right now.”

“I didn’t mean to make him mad, I just-“

“Just be quiet Cassidy. I know you didn’t mean to, but you’ve offended him, his story, and the meaning behind pack. He was right, it was our fault – and I should have told you about our heritage whether Dad forbid me to or not. We wouldn’t be here right now if you knew.”

He looked at me with the same intense brown eyes of our grandpa, convinced. There was nothing I could say to prove to any of them that I wasn’t the one, I couldn’t be. So I nodded, and walked into the main hall when the door was opened.

Jason led me straight through the most crowded part of the training hall – the sparring gym – and seemed to slow his walk to a stroll as we passed everyone. Their eyes seemed to follow me, glued to my form and making me uncomfortable. Each time I met their gaze each would nod before continuing with whatever they had been doing before I came in. Boxing, wrestling, training. It was unnerving, they were acknowledging me as a higher ranked wolf than them – something that, in my time as Sigma, and as a rogue, I had never been subject to other than when I defeated an Alpha.

All those Alphas.

There had to have been four in total over the months, but beta’s… There were an average of two beta’s per Alpha, meaning my Uncle would be phasing at least 12 wolves over the next thirty days, maybe more if ambitious rankless wolves go out for a try. They were doing this for what seemed to be the last available pack territory within a hundred miles –and it was my fault.

Finally we reached the study, where I would first be taught about pack structure – we would skip the basics, but then go into detail – what each position entails, how they came about and why it works the way it does, commands, loopholes, and granted abilities that come with each rank. As a rankless pack member, before my run, I wasn’t taught these things. They were saved for the first born of the Alpha, Beta, and Omega families.

We would be going over my position, and pack structure for the entire day – in attempts to cram a year’s worth of Alpha training into a day, two days, tops. I needed to get out and save my uncle, but in order to do that I needed to know where I went wrong when returning the power to original Alphas.

The Alpha Transition:

Alpha’s change positions in Sigma and Psi wolf packs through public denouncement. In a Sigma pack, the current Alpha is required to denounce the position of Alpha in front of the pack, and bequeath it unto another wolf of Alpha blood present at the gathering. Such rejection of the role of Alpha immediately ejects the wolf out of the pack. The now rogue, Alpha is then to either leave, or request re-admittance to the pack.