chapter seven | | the gamemaster

C A S S I D Y

❝ how could silence be so loud? ❞

— unknown

It was marvellous what happened to your thoughts after you were threatened by someone you knew. My head went into an internal panic mood before residing into a brooding anger. However, despite my fury towards Kaiden, even I was not stupid enough to realize how miserable he could make my life if I dared to step out of line.

I could make out the simple threats he was passing over to me on a daily basis— hell, even Connor, the self-proclaimed King of obliviousness, was started to pick up on some of the signs.

"You realize that glaring isn't going to do anything right?" I grit through my teeth, having just about enough of the daggers being thrown at me. It made shelving books a whole lot more annoying than it already was.

"My biggest concern is you butting into something you're not a part of," he smoothly counters with a smirk playing on the edges of his mouth. Although the action may seem playful to other observes, I could make out the hardness and steely flash in his dark, stormy blue eyes.

It was like a hurricane in there. And I for one valued my life over irritation, which basically led to my downfall of being quiet.

I had to shed my meek facade once my frustration got the best of me and I realized that he most likely was not going to risk me running my mouth to my brother which in return could confuse some of his friends. He was a conniving, little bastard, but sadly, he got all his bases cleared.

I almost asked if he played chess, because by the way he analyzed things, I would have assumed he was a closeted genius.

Of course he had to be one of the exceptions that broke the stereotypical rule that popular people either had to be stupid, and good-looking, or that they had to be good-looking with no substance.

"You work at the library?" Mia gapes, wide-mouthed at me, surprise clearly shone all across her face. I'm pretty shocked that she has not dropped her large beige tote bag by now.

"Yeah, she does," Kaiden interjects with a devious smile, a look of mischief running through his gaze— oh lord.

"I started a little while ago." I hesitantly shrugged my shoulders as if it weren't a big deal. However, I was aware that the friendship code probably stated that you were just supposed to tell your friends what you did over weekends.

I'm just not quite informed of the conduct.

"Oh shit, did Cassidy not tell you?" He feigns a perfect look of astonishment. That evil, little. . .

"No, she may have forgot to inform me," she mumbles, before shooting me a pointed look which clearly stated 'why didn't you tell me?'

There was some guilt on my part, but in all honesty, a statement regarding my job would have eventually led to my co-workers, which would have directly led a path to the blue-eyed devil currently standing before us with a stupid grin plastered on his face. I for one did not wish to discuss more about this person more than I had to.

"Amelia. . . is it?" Kaiden cocks his head to the side, arching a brow.

Mia awkwardly shifts on her feet before quickly nodding along, not daring to make a single squeak.

"People call me Mia." Her voice comes out a tad bit nervous and shaky. There must be something here that I'm not grasping well enough; I'm just not entirely sure what.

"My friends call me Kai." He coolly disregards her nervous tone, and settles for a casual expression. "Sienna talked about you a bit the other day over the phone. Care to add anything?"