prologue - newly edited.

quick heads up: the newly edited chapters will all come after this one. (the story, regarding the characters, and some details may seem like it changed a lot which it has, but i hope you all are willing to still read it.) i ran into some issues regarding the flow and i decided that changing it up might be the best idea. my apologies and thank you <3.

warning: profanities.

*****

C A S S I D Y 

❝ We are all broken.  That's how light gets in. ❞

— Ernest Hemmingway.

Sometimes I look at myself in the mirror for the sole purpose of seeking for something that isn't there. The murky lenses that I once peered through still invade my thoughts on a daily basis, almost jeering at me that I still haven't made the clear decisions. 

But have you ever wondered what lied beneath all the skins and bones that hung over our souls? Were what we are the last destination of what we could be as a humane being?

People usually say that there's a certain moment in life that dictates how you're going to turn out in the future. While some may argue and say that words nor the past do not define you, but actions that one commit's in the present surely correlates from the previous times.

I can't say that I'm proud of what I've done in the past, nearly got myself in a mess that could have been irreversible. This is one of the few cases that having a human conscience or mortal compass truly comes in handy. Otherwise, it's a pain in the head with that tiny, annoying, pipsqueak of a voice telling you "stop! stop! stop!"

Here's to say why would I need a voice breathing down the back of my neck when I already have an idiotic older brother, Connor, completing that job?

The most unfortunate case is, he's supposed to be the older, more mature one.

He ended up failing senior year after not fulfilling the requirements needed to graduate. Which only confirms my latest nightmare, a year full of his face around school property when he should have been gone.

It was time for another period of dragging his drunken ass from wild, crazed parties. Connor is the ultimate nuisance when he is drunk out of his head. He's emotional, violent and not to mention, verbally blunt. It is by far the worst state of mind a person can ever witness. Believe me, I've had my fair share of karma just by the words he pops out of his mouth.

I can only pray to the gods that the students here at our new secondary school wouldn't engage themselves in illegal activities. Although, I was fairly certain that my pleas would fall upon deaf ears.

"Cassidy, get your butt here before I decide to reveal your ridiculous, master plan to our parents," Connor drawls out in an overly condescending manner, his head popping in through the door frame. There was a wide smirk gracing his face that cockily announced 'I have blackmail material on you.'

Connor Winters, born a year and three months older than me, a February child. In terms of looks, he's been gifted with dark hazel eyes on our mother's side, a tall, 5'11" yet strong frame, and chocolate brown hair that's normally pulled back, away from his forehead. He was ranked a solid nine-point-five at our old school.

It was definitely vomit-worthy to imagine a few students willingly sizing your own sibling as if he were a piece of meat. However, I had to give props for discreetness.