chapter five | | ridiculous situations

C A S S I D Y

❝  a certain darkness is needed to see the stars. ❞

— unknown.

"No, you don't understand. I'm screwed," I drawled out once again, a little more slowly this time around.

I was lounging in the living room with my bowl of cereal when Connor decided it would be a good idea to interrupt me in my mourning phase. Let's say, I had a pleasant trip down memory lane, contemplating multiple times where I had desperately done wrong in life.

"It's just a job. . . what's the worse thing that could happen?" Connor points out. 

"So what if he's hot? He's completely unstable! Do you know what I had faced yesterday? A book planted to my face after a kid asked him how far he could throw his ruined book," I deadpanned, venom threatening to seep into my tone. 

"It was a paperback," he tries to reason in a soothing timbre but I am definitely not having it.

"It was drenched in ketchup!" I fumed fervently. "I spent the day reeking of it!"

"Didn't he apologize?" I could see the edges of Connor's mouth threatening to tip up and turn into a goofy grin.

"After he finished his fit of tearing laughter." I scowled at the mere memory of it. There was something seriously wrong with him.  "But you know what was the worst thing about it all?"

I didn't even wait for Connor's answer before cutting in. "I couldn't even yell at him! Partially because there were children around, and partially because I'm sometimes to be timid like a groundhog!"

"You could always quit," he cackled deviously, retrieving a packet of chips from the bowl in front of him. When did that even get here? 

"I can't do that," I groaned out, leaning my head back on the couch, before blankly staring up at the empty ceiling. 

"Guess you got to endure it . . ." He grins at me with the biggest shit-eating grin I haven't seen in quite a while.

"Oh shut up." I chuck a nearby cushion at his face.

Connor simply begins to guffaw, wheezing in staggering breaths as he attempts to regain his air supply. 

There's a moment of comforting silence that follows before I can feel a bit of seriousness settling into him. It was one of the perks of being somewhat close enough siblings; I was able to read his emotions quite easily. 

"The guys are coming over here today," he says, knocking off a few decibels off his voice. "Do you mind?"

"No, it's fine. I shouldn't be a bother to you and your friend-making." I shrug nonchalantly before biting my bottom lip in thought. Although, where would I flee to? I definitely did not want to be here when they arrived. 

I didn't want to lock myself in my own room and shun myself from the outside world. Believe me, I tried before last week and loud chitter chatter of voices severely threatened my own escape from society. 

No offense to them but by the volume of noise they were all exerting paired with the amount of giggles and mindless conversations about games- it sounded as if it were some carnival party down there.

"Yeah, I'm kind of worried if I'm really going to fit in or not."

There was a worried, faraway look that passed over his eyes, and for a second, I felt guilty. I was venting my issues with one of the infamous members in his group when he was trying to get in with them.