e l e v e n

e l e v e n - jake's pov

i carried on running from the men from the priest hole. i ran through the people in the streets not noticing that everything around me was different. i probably should have realized this but i didn't. i only noticed things were different when i nearly got ran over by a horse drawn carriage. everybody around me was looking at me weirdly, and i had no idea why. i had ran up many streets and alleyways, twisting and turning and jumping walls to try to get away from the big men and only then did i realize that everything looked like it was from a different time period. i would have trouble blending in here.

i was running behind some houses when i saw the blonde girl from the house again. she had me in headlock and had a knife to my neck in seconds.

"scream and i'll cut you"

she had pushed me against a wall at that point, so i was facing her with the knife still dangerously near my throat. her hands were shaking and the knife was getting way to close to my neck - she was scared. but even more dangerous.

"what are you?"

"an- uh- i'm an american"

i wasn't getting my words out properly, and i was confused by what she meant.

"i'm jacob"

she pressed the knife closer and stared at my eyes.

"what were you doing at the house? why were you chasing me?"

" i just wanted to talk to you! don't kill me!"

she brought it even closer to my neck.

"talk to me about what?"

"about the house- about the people who lived there"

"who sent you here?"

she was looking quite skeptical now.

"my grandfather. his name was abraham portman"

she looked at me shocked.

"that's a lie! you think i don't know who you are? i wasn't born yesterday! open your eyes - let me see your eyes!"

"i am! they are!"

i opened them up as wide as i could, worried for my own safety. she was on her tiptoes studying them real close, and i was very confused. why did she need to see my eyes?

"no, your real eyes! those fakes don't fool me any more than your ridiculous lie about abe!"

"its not a lie - and these are my eyes!"

the knife was so close to my neck by now. if it was any sharper it would of cut me by now.

"look, i'm not what ever you think i am. i can prove it!"

the knife moved away a teeny bit.

"then prove it, or i'll water the grass with your blood!"

"i have something here."

i went to reach for the letter from miss peregrine  in my pocket, but the girl seemed to freak out and stop me, and the knife was brought closer to my neck again. she probably thought i was getting something to fight back with. but, i don't want a fight, i just want to speak civilly without a knife to my neck.

"its only a letter! calm down!"

the knife was moved slightly further away from my neck again. i put my hand back in my pocket and brought out the letter.

"the letter is part of the reason i came here. my grandfather gave it to me. it's from the bird. that's what you call your headmistress, isn't it?"