t w o

t w o - anna's pov

I sat on top of old Cuthbert's head, waiting for my grandma to get home. She had to go run some errands, and Addison was getting annoyed at my constant nagging. He wouldn't play ball with me like he used to, and there's no point asking Grunt because he will just tear the god damn thing apart.

Addison would just tell me to go read a book. the thing is, I have read all the books in this blasted place, and I'm completely bored. Grandma will never let me out the loop for a minute, let alone to go make friends my own species.

Now, don't get me wrong, I love the menagerie. I just wish I had human company. Olivia was brought here after her terrible accident. For the first few days she still had human-like characteristics; we would talk (it was very complicated how you talk to a ymbrine in bird form, even more so if they are losing there human side. it is nearly impossible to do it if you are not an ymbrine yourself), and play ball. That was ten years ago. Now she could pass as an ordinary barn owl.

So, I sat and waited. Grandma used to spend all the time in the world with me, but not so much anymore. She says I've grown up now, but she of all people should know that I haven't aged in 63 years. I've looked 16 years old for ages now, and if I had actually aged like grandma says I have, then I would be 79 years old. My grandma has taught me enough to know my mental age is still the same, so I don't go in for a nap at 3pm to rest my back like an 80 year old.

I saw my grandma just between the trees and scrambled down into Cuthbert's mouth, then scrambled up to the cove in his eye. This is where I keep my clothes, as I can't change back into a human and have clothes on already. I strip down to my underwear and stand back.

I don't know exactly how to describe how it happens; the feeling I feel when it does. I just feel free turning into a bird, though I have been told it is the least useful part of my peculiarity.

I flew out of Cuthbert and towards my grandma, perching on her shoulder. She doesn't even flinch anymore.

It happens everyday.

Not like any day is different.

Everyday is the same.

And maybe I want that to change.