3. Not What She Expected

"Haught!" Wynonna exclaimed as she answered the call.

"Um... Wynonna, hi. Is Waverly there?" Nicole replied, confused as to why Wynona would answer Waverly's phone.

"I'm so glad you called. Dude, you've got to get down here."

"Where?" Panic was evident in the brunette's voice, and it was spreading to Nicole.

"The homestead. Just, get here as fast as you can."

"What's going on, Wynonna?" Nicole was already on her way to the front door, retrieving her shoes and keys on the way. In the background of the call Nicole heard Waverly calling out in what sounded like pain. Hurriedly, Nicole informed Wynonna she was on her way, hung up, and clambered into the car.

"Waverly!" Nicole shouted as soon as she got out of the car, tears pricking her eyes as she thought of her baby in pain. The front door opened and a concerned looking Wynonna was on the other side.

"What's going on?" She asked, running towards the door, "What happened to her?"

"What do you mean?" Wynonna's brows twitched and Nicole stopped right outside the door.

"I... you sounded... I mean... I heard... Wave-"

"She's fine. In fact I think she's more than fine. I'm just worried about your reaction."

"Reaction?" Nicole questioned, but before she had time to say anything more, Waverly interrupted her.

"Baby, look! He was wandering around outside of the homestead, I couldn't just leave him. I was thinking... maybe we could keep him?" Waverly said as she appeared behind her sister.

Nicole barely had chance to process what Waverly had said before the bundle in her arms was struggling to get to her and had somehow managed to give her a huge lick on the face. Waverly managed to get the puppy back under control and Wynonna went back into the house, leaving the pair in the doorway.

"Wha- I thought you were hurt. I called you and Wynonna picked up and I heard you in the background and you sounded hurt and I came over here as soon as I could but- what?"

"Oh, Sweetie Pie!" Waverly laughed at Nicole's flustered expression, "I'm fine! He probably just nipped me or something, we were playing before you came."

"Well, I know that now." Nicole blushed and looked down at her feet, and then at the scruffy dog in Waverly's arms. She reached out and tried to stroke him, but he managed to whip his head around and lick her hand instead. She laughed.

"So... can we?"

"Well we'll have to try and find out who he belongs to first. I haven't had any reports of missing dogs in the station that fit his description but, we'll have to wait and see. And then there's Calamity. What if she doesn't like him? And we'll have to figure out how much he's going to cost and everything like that."

"So that's a maybe." Waverly smiled and tilted her head to the side, looking up at her girlfriend.

"Sure, it's a maybe."

"Yay! Oh my gosh, what should we call him? He's got to have a good name. It can't be something boring, 'cause then he'd probably be jealous of the cat. It's got to be something really, really good." Waverly spoke quickly, as she sometimes did when she was excited, and Nicole chuckled a little. They thought for just a moment before Nicole got an idea.

"How about Wyatt?" Nicole suggested, and Waverly's smile grew.